Rantings to stop eating Free Range eggs~ please respond !

I was mistaken. She didn't delete my posts. I do respect what she says...I go on and off my vegetarian lifestyle, but I will never support factory farms. The backyard and hobbyist farms are the alternative. That was the point I wanted to make. I have found some sort of peace in the idea of raising my food in a compassionate manner all the way until the end as my way of protesting the factory farm.

i do respect what she says but they are vegans so they of course don't want us raising animals to eat and the username sharron on that page is just plain rude. she is complete nonsense. and i hate people who try to say that their lifestyle the best solution for everybody, i hate how they wanna force you to stop eating meat. as long as we are raising our own and they live a healthy life then we are good to go.

Last edited:
I was mistaken. She didn't delete my posts. I do respect what she says...I go on and off my vegetarian lifestyle, but I will never support factory farms. The backyard and hobbyist farms are the alternative. That was the point I wanted to make. I have found some sort of peace in the idea of raising my food in a compassionate manner all the way until the end as my way of protesting the factory farm.
I am a vegan also... inbetween my ribeye and shrimp I have a patato so my vegan diet is off and on also. Boy I sure feel better about myself now.

I'm. Having mushrooms and onions with my ribeye tonight..does that count?
Oh and homemade steak fries....that surely counts!!

i do respect what she says but they are vegans so they of course don't want us raising animals to eat and the username sharron on that page is just plain rude. she is complete nonsense. and i hate people who try to say that their lifestyle the best solution for everybody, i hate how they wanna force you to stop eating meat. as long as we are raising our own and they live a healthy life then we are good to go.
This. I know not every vegan/vegetarian has this attitude, but the ones that do scare me.

You know I say that I am doing a small part to stop the battery hens and mass production of eggs by keeping my own chickens. They just run around all day hang out and lay eggs. I probably do a little too much for them but it's a hobby so I go a little above and beyond.

I also sell my eggs to some coworkers so the fore they aren't buying battery hen eggs either. I agree with what the vegans were saying about the male chicks but what is more the problem is shut down the factory farms and go back to small farmers. It's the huge mass production farms that put the little guy out of business.

You know I say that I am doing a small part to stop the battery hens and mass production of eggs by keeping my own chickens. They just run around all day hang out and lay eggs. I probably do a little too much for them but it's a hobby so I go a little above and beyond.
I also sell my eggs to some coworkers so the fore they aren't buying battery hen eggs either. I agree with what the vegans were saying about the male chicks but what is more the problem is shut down the factory farms and go back to small farmers. It's the huge mass production farms that put the little guy out of business.
Just a comment here. I don't like the idea of battery chickens either, but I wonder if it is really as bad for the chickens as we think it is. My reasoning is this. Stressed out animals do not produce well and those hens seem to lay very well indeed. Personally, I think living in an apartment in a big city would be hell on earth, but I know people who thrive in such an environment. I wonder if it is the same for the laying chickens. A graduate student with time on his/her hands and in need of a project could set up a study to find out. As for the excess males, what do you suggest be done with them? There isn't room on this planet for all them even in backyard flocks. In the wild most of them would end up as somebody's dinner anyway. And the huge mass production farms are one reason food in this country is as cheap as it is. Just for the record, I have seen a lot of small farms where the conditions in which the animals are kept isn't anything to brag about either.

I'm reminded of a classic response to vegetarianism/veganism: The question asked was "What's the difference between killing an animal for meat and killing a head of lettuce. Reply was "Lettuce doesn't scream."
Having slaughtered a chicken or two, I'm now in a position to say that the chickens didn't either. And they're still darned tasty.

I'm reminded of a classic response to vegetarianism/veganism: The question asked was "What's the difference between killing an animal for meat and killing a head of lettuce. Reply was "Lettuce doesn't scream."
Actually, in a sense, it does. Gardeners have known for a long time that plants that are robust tend to have fewer pest problems than ones that are less vigorous. It begs the question, are the pests the cause of the lack of vigor, or is it the other way around? 30-some years ago, I read about a study that showed that plants under stress emit a sort of sub-sonic signal that certain pest insects seem to be able to detect. A plant under stress is less able to resist insect attack (no, they aren't simply victims; plants do have ways to resist), so it benefits an insect to know which plants are more vulnerable. Since plants under stress detectably signal their distress, isn't that in effect a scream, even if we can't hear it?

Just a comment here. I don't like the idea of battery chickens either, but I wonder if it is really as bad for the chickens as we think it is. My reasoning is this. Stressed out animals do not produce well and those hens seem to lay very well indeed. Personally, I think living in an apartment in a big city would be hell on earth, but I know people who thrive in such an environment. I wonder if it is the same for the laying chickens. A graduate student with time on his/her hands and in need of a project could set up a study to find out. As for the excess males, what do you suggest be done with them? There isn't room on this planet for all them even in backyard flocks. In the wild most of them would end up as somebody's dinner anyway. And the huge mass production farms are one reason food in this country is as cheap as it is. Just for the record, I have seen a lot of small farms where the conditions in which the animals are kept isn't anything to brag about either.
What is wrong with battered chicken? You are being sensible be careful.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom