Rats, rats EVERYWHERE! ☹️

Pics
Okay going to make the stupidest suggestion you've ever heard and I KNOW that this animal can kill chickens too, but is there any way to get a mink? They are supposed to be amazing rat killer because they can follow them down into their holes. Again lol I know it sounds stupid but...
Well even if I did get a mink, I have no idea how to train one.

Okay going to make the stupidest suggestion you've ever heard and I KNOW that this animal can kill chickens too, but is there any way to get a mink? They are supposed to be amazing rat killer because they can follow them down into their holes. Again lol I know it sounds stupid but...
It's been discussed, couple pages of posts about way back there somewhere(from yesterday?).
Works good but huge training aspect......of the mink and they dogs they work with.

This all started last year when my neighbor unloaded some rat-infested materials. They quickly came up to my house. Plentiful food supply, right? Well. I cant take it anymore. There’s stupid rats EVERYWHERE by my chicken pens. And I can’t use poison and no amount of traps would ever get all those dang mice.

Do I rehome my flock and start anew later?? It seems the rat population keeps growing and growing. My feed bill is sky high because I’m feeding more rats than chickens. It’s to the point where my chickens are absolutely starving if not fed twice daily.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

I already have 4 cats.
I JUST ran into the exact same problem last month & they got into my screened porch & laundry room too!!!
I admit I did not read all 39 pages, I skimmed through to the end... but I didn't see this idea mentioned.
Have you tried DIY rat bait NOT poisonous to your animals? I don't use anything that would harm my pets if consumed (bait or dead rodent).

There are several variations of this, but eating baking soda will kill the rats & mice because they cannot burp or pass gas, but you must disguise the smell and add something to attract them!
Mix equal amount of:
Cornmeal (or Flour) and Baking soda, then add sugar & mix well. (ie: 1 cup Cornmeal & 1 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup sugar)
Add just enough water to make rather dry balls of the bait. Use gloves so your sent is hidden. Place the balls out of reach of chickens where the rodents would pass to get into your coop. Then they'll get thirsty & gas builds up... this should eliminate them over a week or two depending on how bad the infestation is.
You can look this up on YouTube too if you want a better idea.
I hope this helps... The rats made my dog sick, scared my chickens & stink! I was going crazy!

I trapped and dispatched rats with the Ratinator and left them on top of the fence. Not sure if hawks and owls took the offerings, but something did 🙃
I watched Shawn Woods you tube and his game cam showed the rats open the trap door from inside the trap and walking out. He says he didn't catch anything, Did you tie the other door tighter so they can't get out. Another guy had a You Tube vid with 19 rats from one night. He showed a game cam. I have one and am gonna bait it and zip tie the door open for them to get used to it. And then unzip it. We'll see. I haven't seen so many lately. No food out side no water at night. So many people give the impression that as soon as you clean up the rats leave. I've not had that experience. But I am determined. I want some white leghorn chicks next year. Good luck and hope you catch every single one.

I JUST ran into the exact same problem last month & they got into my screened porch & laundry room too!!!
I admit I did not read all 39 pages, I skimmed through to the end... but I didn't see this idea mentioned.
Have you tried DIY rat bait NOT poisonous to your animals? I don't use anything that would harm my pets if consumed (bait or dead rodent).

There are several variations of this, but eating baking soda will kill the rats & mice because they cannot burp or pass gas, but you must disguise the smell and add something to attract them!
Mix equal amount of:
Cornmeal (or Flour) and Baking soda, then add sugar & mix well. (ie: 1 cup Cornmeal & 1 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup sugar)
Add just enough water to make rather dry balls of the bait. Use gloves so your sent is hidden. Place the balls out of reach of chickens where the rodents would pass to get into your coop. Then they'll get thirsty & gas builds up... this should eliminate them over a week or two depending on how bad the infestation is.
You can look this up on YouTube too if you want a better idea.
I hope this helps... The rats made my dog sick, scared my chickens & stink! I was going crazy!
Google Senes Tech. I think this is the ultimate "bait". I've tried most of the things you mentions. No luck. And you have to put out like a dozen traps to catch them. I am trying the ratinator. Mixed reviews there also.

ETA: Spelling of Senes . This is correct spelling.

Back
Top Bottom