Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinager

I do wonder though, if the bottle has been heat sealed is it really still "viable"? Could be, but I just don't know. However, making your own is easy, if a little time consuming. If you can get unpasturized apple cider you can use that; otherwise juice some apples in your juicer, or grind them in a blender or food processor. If grinding, pour the pulp through a fine cloth (a clean pillow case is ideal, though it will stain it, so use an old one!). Put the juice in a wide mouthed jar, cover with muslin or cheesecloth (so air can get in, but bugs and dust can't). Leave it on the kitchen counter for a few months, and you will have lovely, fresh, LIVE apple cider vinegar. When I did this I did NOT get the "mother", but I did get vinegar. A cup of this vinegar in a jar of new juice will make it form faster. I have also used a cup of this "live" vinegar to help start a batch of red wine vinegar (Wine generally contains sulfites to keep it from forming vinegar; the "live" vinegar helps to combat that). Shake the jar occasionally to introduce air into the mix. (If you find you have made too much vinegar for personal or poultry use, it is also an excellent softener in the laundry, and window cleaner).

Is the regular apple cider vinegar beneficial at all?

Does the vinegar cause their droppings to get runnier when you first give it to them?

I don't know if it's been posted but I do know that it also works great in a squirt bottle with water to calm down aggressive roos. Works great with my leghorn "Henry". Now when he just sees that squirt bottle he calms down. Although it did discolor his feathers for awhile. Now I just squirt his feet and the little devil goes his own way.
Jacie

*JustChicky* :

Is the regular apple cider vinegar beneficial at all?

Does the vinegar cause their droppings to get runnier when you first give it to them?

Good questions! I'm not sure on the regular ACV. I didn't notice any runnier droppings when I first started them on it.​

I have been seeing a few runny brown spots since I got them (like 4 or 5 a day), so I gave them 1 teaspoon of regular ACV in 1 quart of water last night. This morning when I went out there, there were like 10 - 15 spots.

I have also been giving them cool water. It warms up under the light, but they do drink a lot of water right when I put the cool water in. Now, I have a jug of room temperature water for them.

They seem fine now, but I guess regular ACV doesn't work as good because one of the extra males still has foamy light brown poo (most of the time, but he does have some that are normal) and one of my dom chicks has runny brown poo (sometimes). All the rest have soft logs with clear liquid and a little white stuff.

I didn't give them anymore ACV. I gave them plain, fresh water this morning. So they only had the 1 qt/ 1 tsp.

The only things they have eaten are medicated feed and water. I did give them 1 qt of weak Vi-tal water on the first day and I have seen them eat 2 or 3 tiny bugs (gnats, I think).

Do they get the runny brown poo when they get stressed or bothered? Because it seems like when I leave them alone, they have less (except last night with the vinegar). When I change their bedding it seems like they all get "loose".

Quote:
Definitely not; our house is generally on the cool side (if you are cold, put on a sweater
smile.png
). Don't know why "mother" didn't form, but the vinegar is wonderful, as is also the red wine vinegar; and rose wine vinegar (white wine, with a cup of the finished red wine v. in it as a starter) is coming along nicely on the kitchen counter.

Quote:
Definitely not; our house is generally on the cool side (if you are cold, put on a sweater
smile.png
). Don't know why "mother" didn't form, but the vinegar is wonderful, as is also the red wine vinegar; and rose wine vinegar (white wine, with a cup of the finished red wine v. in it as a starter) is coming along nicely on the kitchen counter.

That's the way our house is too. But I also know that if one heats with wood it isn't impossible to be at 80 easily. That's why I asked.

When I have ACV(I run out frequently), I put 1T. in a small glass and add a little water every morning. I also make a flu prevention using 2t. cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 t. sea salt, or common salt, 1C. boiling water, 1C. ACV--grind pepper and salt to make a paste. Add boiling water(or strong, strained chamomile tea) Steep and cool.Add vinegar to water. Most adults can take between 1t. to a T. every half hour. If too strong, dilute it. I haven't tried it with the chamomile yet. When I take this while others around me have the flu, I don't get it.

Monica

How old/young should the chicks/chickens be when you start to add ACV to their water???... Do you know if it will benefit my duckies too???...

Back
Top Bottom