Red Jungle Fowl Standard Proposal * Recommendations Are Appreciated *

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello Everyone!

How is everybody doing? Its nearing winter!!! Holidays are coming. How exciting! So am I because I am finally done with finals and taking a good long break to enjoy the Holidays and a NEW YEAR!

Anyhow, because I am finally free for the next few weeks, I wanted to finish up on my Red Jungle Fowls Standards Page: http://tommyspetparadise.webs.com/

I
started it a while ago but never got to finish because school got me booked up most of the time already. Starting on it again and would like to hear any recommendations or imputs to make my proposal stronger with more diverse imputs than what I already have. The more resource, the better of course, because I need to analyse and write. I will be the first to write this proposal for all the different strains so I need to make sure I am on track.

!!!HELP PLEASE!!!

Standards are for Red Jungle Fowls: 4 Strains

Laos Red Jungle Fowl

Vietnamese Red Jungle Fowl

Richardsons Red Jungle Fowl

San Diego Zoo Red Jungle Fowl

That is the four I am focusing on right now because since I have them, its easier to cross-reference my feedbacks with the true source. Any help would be appreciated.

!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays

- Tommy

If you compare your "proposed standard" with how actual standards are written in the ASOP I think you'll notice a big difference. ie: eye colour, wattle size # of comb points etc are stated as absolutes in the ASOP noy options on a list as you state them.
I would also suggest that it's a tad presumptuous for someone who owns 4 of a variety of anything to be in a position to be proposing standards.

Hello,

In regards to Michael: Yes, I noticed some SDZ Red Jungle Fowls are heavily crossed and do look like your average BBR Phoenix but those who keep a really "clean stock" meaning breeding them in the proper pens and don't mix up their selection and selectively breed will result in a really nice, well worth preserving strain. I myself as well a Doug - those of you who knows him - got a lot of compliments on our preserved stock and we do everything we can to keep that strain pure to its source and breeding out specific traits that we like.

In regards to NYREDS: The ASOP does go in general about their "standard" but the only standard I only wrote or accomplished so far is for the Vietnamese Jungle Fowl and its still a working piece in which I will update oftenly with the responses I get from breeders who knows best along with what I have known so far. Standard works by taking "publications" and then later editing it as more are learned about the species.

I would not just base things off of just ONE source like the ASOP for example, but that might just be me.

As far as "it's a tad presumptuous for someone who owns 4 of a variety of anything to be in a position to be proposing standards. " <--- thats too strong of a sentence to propose here. Please advise because I am here to learn...

It's difficult to respond since you last post is largely drivel but let me try to explain more simply.
I'll use just one example. In describing the "Standard" wattle you say "medium in size, however some specimens will have smaller or larger wattles". This is no standard at all since it allows for essentially any wattle size. A standard by definition, establishes a benchmark not to be deviated from in an acceptable specimen.
As to my "strong" [?] sentence what i was saying is that you lack the experience to be proposing a standard. Look up the meaning of presumptuous.

Quote:
NYREDS:

Ohhh....ok, I got what you are saying now! Could have just told me that instead of beating around the bushes, it would have helped more. Haha.
But anyhow, like I have mentioned, the standard is still a working process and not considered "final" and thats why I need feedbacks, hence, my post : )

First of all, I am writing the standard but its not all my work as I have mentioned many posts ago, even on my homepage. It consists of all the resources I have used to put together. Also, I have spoken to more Red Jungle Fowl experts in the last few years than anyone could have in many years time. I don't focus on a variety, just the American Onagadori and the Red Jungle Fowl, thats how it made my "research" strong. I e-mailed every known individual to learn more about the breed, even overseas, and from the direct sources themselves until the point that my e-mail got so full, I have to make a new account JUST FOR QUESTIONS!!! I am not bragging or anything. I think you are a "tad presumptuous" to assume that I lack experience just because my standard is not quite finalized. There are still corrections needed, I agree...

Thanks though! : )

- Tommy

Tommy, I can't comment on the substance of your proposed standard, because I know nothing about Jungle Fowl. But I would suggest that you have an English teacher, proofreader, or someone else with excellent writing skills go over it. Your proposal has a number of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors that should be corrected if you plan to submit it to the APA. For example, the word "reddish" should have two Ds. I am not trying to be a nitpicker, but a more professional presentation can only help. Best of luck to you.

Quote:
Lol. Thanks for pointing that out. I wrote that one standard under a very short time. The truth is, I was on a study break so I figured I will just pull out a quick write-up of that standard since I made that page not too long before that. Have not checked back there for errors and such since then, so yeah.

I will get on it this Monday again when I am free from all things. Yeah, I will e-mail it to my friends to look it over : )

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom