Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

We thought that trying the CX birds might be a cool project to try and make for some backyard meat birds that were different than the straights.

This cockerel was hatched pretty late in the season, as a result he's pretty young. The 8-9 pound range has been pretty common in my bigger Cornish that were allowed to grow more.

For the silent followers-- I'm ready to start shipping eggs. I have a list, but always looking to add to it. For more info- PM.

We think we have sold the flock to a repeat customer of ours.
They have kids interested in showing, and so it will be a good move for the birds as well.

Thanks for the support byc.

Last edited:
I crossed a hatchery white laced Cornish hen with my wheaten ameraucana rooster and hatched one egg
, the resulting chick is about 14 weeks old now

Cornish hen

Ameraucana rooster

Their baby

Hopefully someone can help me with my project.
I am thinking about and have researched and spoken with several people about this and I get mixed reviews. What I am thinking of doing is finding a Bantam Cornish Rooster to breed to my Large Fowl RIRs and Leghorns and I have some mixes. Now I only have 7 hens and I keep them in a wire bottom hutch. I have found over time that the smaller the bird the better they do on wire, so I am wanting to go with Leghorns mostly for my eggs and have cross with good meat qualities. I love the Cornish and have looked at them for several years and have attempted to hatch shipped eggs on 3 occasions only getting a few to start hatching but just run out of steam before they get the job done.

So I am reading that the mother determines the size and the father determines the markings, but I can't find which one the chest meat traits come from. So going by this I should be able to expect a LF size offspring with Cornish like markings.

So this leads me to my next question which is if this is a good idea, what breed of Cornish should I go with, or should I just say color of Cornish? I think I should say breed because I have noticed that the Dark Cornish seem to carry themselves differently than the others.

And in breeding a red laced Cornish to a Leghorn or Rock, will you get a white bird or a redlaced? Breeding to a RIR what color would the offspring be from a red laced rooster?

I look forward to your thoughts. I really think a bantam will work better for us with the size of out hutch, which has plenty of length and width but may not be large enough for a LF Rooster to do the deed- I used to have Barred Rock that would wait till I let them out in the morning to pounce on the ladies, so I figure he didn't have enough room. Plus the Cornish bantams that I have seen seem to crow less and less loudly than the large fowl of other breeds, which is good for my situation.

Any constructive feedback is very much welcome because I don't want to waist a half year or longer to find out that this won't work. Thanks

Hopefully someone can help me with my project. 
I am thinking about and have researched and spoken with several people about this and I get mixed reviews.  What I am thinking of doing is finding a Bantam Cornish Rooster to breed to my Large Fowl RIRs and Leghorns and I have some mixes.  Now I only have 7 hens and I keep them in a wire bottom hutch.  I have found over time that the smaller the bird the better they do on wire, so I am wanting to go with Leghorns mostly for my eggs and have  cross with good meat qualities.  I love the Cornish and have looked at them for several years and have attempted to hatch shipped eggs on 3 occasions only getting a few to start hatching but just run out of steam before they get the job done. 

So I am reading that the mother determines the size and the father determines the markings, but I can't find which one the chest meat traits come from.  So going by this I should be able to expect a LF size offspring with Cornish like markings. 

So this leads me to my next question which is if this is a good idea, what breed of Cornish should I go with, or should I just say color of Cornish?  I think I should say breed because I have noticed that the Dark Cornish seem to carry themselves differently than the others. 

And in breeding a red laced Cornish to a Leghorn or Rock, will you get a white bird or a redlaced?  Breeding to a RIR what color would the offspring be from a red laced rooster? 

I look forward to your thoughts.  I really think a bantam will work better for us with the size of out hutch, which has plenty of length and width but may not be large enough for a LF Rooster to do the deed- I used to have Barred Rock that would wait till I let them out in the morning to pounce on the ladies, so I figure he didn't have enough room.  Plus the Cornish bantams that I have seen seem to crow less and less loudly than the large fowl of other breeds, which is good for my situation. 

Any constructive feedback is very much welcome because I don't want to waist a half year or longer to find out that this won't work.  Thanks

Research colors better. You're way off base. Genetics in general are simple. Each offspring gets one chromosome copy from each parent. Your philosophy is bogus.

I'm experimenting with WLRC roo's on top of White Plymouth Hens. Eggs have been in the 'bator just over a week. I put some up on eBay cheap too if anyone is interested, have 9 hens in this crossing experiment.

The roo's took forever to mature, and the female I have is a sparse layer and really tiny. The roo's are also loud and a little cantankerous. I'd have zero use for this breed if I wasn't trying to get their frame into a DIY meat cross.

Last edited:
Ok, that response added absolutely nothing to the question and was down right rude. Usually when someone asks a question on the internet they have researched or are researching, so ya kind of didn't need to put that out there, but thanks I guess. And genetics are not simple based on the various BYC posts that I have read where someone usually asks a question or answers a question and then someone that thinks they are of the elite and all knowing version of chicken owner informs them of the simplicities of genetics and how A+ B= E and not C as the weaker poster thought. Ahhhh, forget it.

Ok, that response added absolutely nothing to the question and was down right rude. Usually when someone asks a question on the internet they have researched or are researching, so ya kind of didn't need to put that out there, but thanks I guess. And genetics are not simple based on the various BYC posts that I have read where someone usually asks a question or answers a question and then someone that thinks they are of the elite and all knowing version of chicken owner informs them of the simplicities of genetics and how A+ B= E and not C as the weaker poster thought. Ahhhh, forget it.

I was referring to the post by kfacres by the way. The quote did not show up. Thanks for offering something constructive Hiltonizer. I have noticed the way the different Cornish roosters act is quite different.

Back
Top Bottom