Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

We only got about 4" of snow but with all the wind it drifted pretty good and we got more sleet & Ice, 30-40mph and temp's in the single digit's and wind chills below zero. I had a water main pipe freeze at the house but had water at the coop, so I hauled 30 gal 5 gal at a time 150 yds to the house. We should be Ok till the thaw next week. Chicken did Ok, lot's of drifting snow in the run's and some of the pen's, but I will shovel it out tomorrow with some new straw they should be OK.

I would venture to say I am really not sure it really depends on this year and it's a little early to tell, I know I would like to have 200+ adult hen's before I will be ready to start selling any. That's a way's away and alot can happen in that time, and quality has to be perfect also.

AL

This is a really weird night . Although it was predicted , I was surprized by the thunder and lightening during this blizzard ; the only other time I ever experienced that was in a warm , wet snow that only lasted about an hour .

Then I went out to check my chickens and check nest boxes ; sometimes they wait untill after dark and lay an egg or two since my lights stay on untill 9 PM . Sure enough , there were two eggs in the main pen . So for some reason I checked the breeding pen where the 4 CX gals are with a Splash Ameraucana roo . I have not got an egg from there since two weeks ago . The roo was sitting in the box
duc.gif
so I rousted him out so he would not be crapping in there . He had been sitting on an egg
lau.gif
I kept it seperate and brought it inside , still warm , to incubate in the next batch . I had not really looked at it outside ....................................... its the regular light tan one of them usually lays , but has purple polka dots . I took several pictures , but though they are vivid in life , the flash makes them fade .

It's about time the middle of the country gets some snow!! We have been hammered with snow this season, finally with Lake Erie freezing over we are able to get some relief. We got an inch of ice or so and a few inches of snow. Nothing big, not when lake effect sometimes drops 12-18 inches of snow in a night. We are used to it, but definitely tired of it this year.

How far are you from Chicago Steve? Seems like they got hammered... TWC says official snow accumulation is 20 inches. But how can they get an official snow amount with this wind? Crazy snow drifts when you get 20 + inches of snow. I was watching TWC and Jim Cantore was standing in downtown Chicago and one of those lightning / thunder things went off and it looked pretty weird with snow. I've never seen or heard it before.

Good luck digging out of that snow...

Quote:
Here in NM at 7000 feet it's sunny, slight breeze, some blue skies and -2 at 9:30 AM, it's now 1 degree at noon.

Edit: and 12 inches of snow!
rant.gif

Last edited:
The quirks of living in a temperate rainforest on the coast. . . It's a partly cloudy 42 degrees out right now. Tomorrow should get to 45.

Well, as it turns out though, ALL my Marans x chicks turned out to be half Tolbunt Polish. . .
sad.png
But at least one, the cutest one with a solid chocolate coloration and the biggest muffs, looks so far to be frizzled!

Otherwise, my Marans x Shamo project is now moved for next hatch. But this time with my biggest, fastest growing Marans as the mother.

It is 11 here and going to be -7 tonight.. I know that you all up north get these temps but it is very seldom that we get below 0. I would be very happy with 45 lol

Back
Top Bottom