Red mite help needed

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions! This is quite a stressful situation to deal with. I have 17 pullets to treat this weekend, and a coop to scrub scrub scrub. Truly thankful for this group!

I have the Gordon's spray concentrate from TSC, and follow the directions. It's 20 ml. per gallon of water for poultry. I bought a half gallon sprayer and share the stuff with a friend with a flock and coop, and we still haven't mixed another batch of spray! At night with a light, spray the birds lightly, and the roosts while they are on them, and the walls, etc, of the coop. No handling individual birds! No dust! It took us ten or fifteen minutes to do the 16' x 24' coop, and 48 birds. Love it! For red mites who live in the crannies, be thorough with the coop spraying. It has good residual there too. Mary
Miss Mary is telling you like it is. The only way to control red mites is to kill-em where they live and red mites only live in the nooks, cracks, and crannies of the coop or hen house.

I have the Gordon's spray concentrate from TSC, and follow the directions.  It's 20 ml. per gallon of water for poultry.  I bought a half gallon sprayer and share the stuff with a friend with a flock and coop, and we still haven't mixed another batch of spray!  At night with a light, spray the birds lightly, and the roosts while they are on them, and the walls, etc, of the coop.  No handling individual birds!  No dust!  It took us ten or fifteen minutes to do the 16' x 24' coop, and 48 birds.  Love it!  For red mites who live in the crannies, be thorough with the coop spraying.  It has good residual there too.  Mary

Miss Mary is telling you like it is.  The only way to control red mites is to kill-em where they live and red mites only live in the nooks, cracks, and crannies of the coop or hen house.

X3, you have to remove all bedding from coop and nesting boxe, then spray your entire coop, all roosts, nesting boxes, etc. Birds also need to be treated.

-Kathy

We have a Snap n' Lock coop which is all plastic, except for the roosting bars. This morning we scrubbed it doen with soapy water with a little bleach. I then dusted each pullet under the wings, back of the neck and vent area with a garden powder from TSC. I also dusted the coop as best I could with it and also with DE. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

We have a Snap n' Lock coop which is all plastic, except for the roosting bars. This morning we scrubbed it doen with soapy water with a little bleach. I then dusted each pullet under the wings, back of the neck and vent area with a garden powder from TSC. I also dusted the coop as best I could with it and also with DE. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.
Something like this?

Next time you're at TSC buy a bottle of Gordon's permethrin spray.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom