Red Mystery Chick

For real?

If he's a true RIR then he might be useful to keep for sex linking. If he's like a production red or some other hybrid, then maybe not so much...
RIR and Production Red are very similar - can be hard to tell the difference until they are full grown, and sometimes at all. Production Red is like RIR but with better egg laying, basically, and some difference in feather color. You can use either for sex-linking.

Looks like RIR pullet to me. I had a Production Red and made sex-links with him (by accident) by breeding him with a silver hen.

RIR and Production Red are very similar - can be hard to tell the difference until they are full grown, and sometimes at all. Production Red is like RIR but with better egg laying, basically, and some difference in feather color. You can use either for sex-linking.

Looks like RIR pullet to me. I had a Production Red and made sex-links with him (by accident) by breeding him with a silver hen.
Okay, so that makes it easier at least. If she's a pullet I may keep her, because I was planning to keep three, but Marshmallow is not looking like a pullet.

If she's a he, then I could keep her because we also just got our SLW chicks! I was starting to hunt for a GLW cockerel, but at least this male could be used for sex links, maybe I get a little practice since I've never bred or hatched chicks as of yet, and maybe one day I get my GLW cockerel. And maybe I invest in better quality pullets anyway down the road, too, but at least it's a starting point.

So it looks like I may keep this red chick, either way! Thank you!!!

Thank you! I immediately thought what a good looking chick, too! 😊

Acquired on April 20, 2023, so a couple days shy of three weeks only.
Oh yeah. That's way too early.. Id day wait till this little chick is about a month and a half, at least before you try to start sexing.
Unless it becomes undeniable, like my little barnyard cross cockerel.
I'll grab a pic later for ya, to show what I mean.

Oh yeah. That's way too early.. Id day wait till this little chick is about a month and a half, at least before you try to start sexing.
Unless it becomes undeniable, like my little barnyard cross cockerel.
I'll grab a pic later for ya, to show what I mean.
Thank you! I would love that. This chick's bro was pretty undeniable! Lol these are my first cockerel(s) so it's all new though!
20230508_161244.jpg

Ooo, yeah.. That looks pretty cockerel ish..
Yes, that's how my first chicks were. All my chicks were cockerel, lol! 🤣
I'm pretty sure he just tried to mate with the palm of my hand! 😳

I was just holding him, and not being super affectionate, just kind of holding him still, and then I released my hold a little bit, so he's sitting on my hands. Then he proceeded to do some kind of wiggly little dance, and left behind a tiny clear puddle on my hand! Is this guy serious!????

I was just holding him, and not being super affectionate, just kind of holding him still, and then I released my hold a little bit, so he's sitting on my hands. Then he proceeded to do some kind of wiggly little dance, and left behind a tiny clear puddle on my hand! Is this guy serious!????
That's interesting!
I'm not sure if a cockerel that young, could produce the *stuff*. But still! 🤣

Is it even possible for him to reproduce a that young??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom