Red Mystery Chick

If we get a SLW cockerel then I'm not sure we would keep him either, for that reason.

Actually the more I think about it, obviously we should keep a silver cockerel just because making fertile eggs / sex link chicks with one silver hen, vs a small flock of silver hens, having him around to make more silver pullets would be key.

Wow! That's impressive! I'm still not sure what we are doing with him TBH, because there are other roosters on our short list we've been planning to add, and his appearance was ...less planned. Lol

If we get our Australorp rooster, we can breed my favorite hen and make nice SOP Australorps. However not being sex linked, we would only be able to do small hatches for the foreseeable future, and you really need to hatch out a lot of chicks to do that right.

Our only silver based hen(s) would be the SLW, so when he heard that, DH was on board with getting a GLW rooster, so we can make and sell GLW pullets, and then the males would all be silver. If we get a SLW cockerel then I'm not sure we would keep him either, for that reason.

Sure from either of them, we can hatch out chicks, but the ability to hatch out sex links dramatically streamlines the whole process of determining who is kept or sold, and who goes to a grow out pen.
I had been leaning australorp roo but I didn’t know why. I figured it out if you get some barred hens you can breed sex links with him and get SOP australorps.

I had been leaning australorp roo but I didn’t know why. I figured it out if you get some barred hens you can breed sex links with him and get SOP australorps.
Yeah, that was always the original plan, and I've had my eye on getting some Dominiques, so I would keep a flock of Dominiques, plus a flock of Australorps, and then could do the sex links as well. I also wanted to get Light Sussex and a red rooster like a partridge wyandotte, or maybe even just Welsummer, and make red sex links that way for meat / eggs.

And then there's the Marans, Ameraucanas, and rainbow egg projects... Why do all my plans involve keeping multiple flocks... And multiple roosters lol 🤦

As of now, I've split the birds out into three brooders. I have Marshmallow and Ruby together in one small crate, the three Bielefelders in one, and I pulled the wyandottes and Carmella and Peep out together as a sub flock of four in the biggest crate downstairs. It's amazing how much more calm everyone is now.

Yeah, that was always the original plan, and I've had my eye on getting some Dominiques, so I would keep a flock of Dominiques, plus a flock of Australorps, and then could do the sex links as well. I also wanted to get Light Sussex and a red rooster like a partridge wyandotte, or maybe even just Welsummer, and make red sex links that way for meat / eggs.

And then there's the Marans, Ameraucanas, and rainbow egg projects... Why do all my plans involve keeping multiple flocks... And multiple roosters lol 🤦
Blue marans roos in with colored egg layers cuckoo marans and blue marans hens. You can get BSLs olive eggers blue copper marans and black and splash marans. If you want to get as much as possibly out of one flock this is what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom