Red Mystery Chick

Hes gonna be a fertile boy! Why is it the links that are the best reproducers. My black sex link roo never missed an egg. Ever.
Wow! That's impressive! I'm still not sure what we are doing with him TBH, because there are other roosters on our short list we've been planning to add, and his appearance was ...less planned. Lol

If we get our Australorp rooster, we can breed my favorite hen and make nice SOP Australorps. However not being sex linked, we would only be able to do small hatches for the foreseeable future, and you really need to hatch out a lot of chicks to do that right.

Our only silver based hen(s) would be the SLW, so when he heard that, DH was on board with getting a GLW rooster, so we can make and sell GLW pullets, and then the males would all be silver. If we get a SLW cockerel then I'm not sure we would keep him either, for that reason.

Sure from either of them, we can hatch out chicks, but the ability to hatch out sex links dramatically streamlines the whole process of determining who is kept or sold, and who goes to a grow out pen.

Wow! That's impressive! I'm still not sure what we are doing with him TBH, because there are other roosters on our short list we've been planning to add, and his appearance was ...less planned. Lol

If we get our Australorp rooster, we can breed my favorite hen and make nice SOP Australorps. However not being sex linked, we would only be able to do small hatches for the foreseeable future, and you really need to hatch out a lot of chicks to do that right.

Our only silver based hen(s) would be the SLW, so when he heard that, DH was on board with getting a GLW rooster, so we can make and sell GLW pullets, and then the males would all be silver. If we get a SLW cockerel then I'm not sure we would keep him either, for that reason.

Sure from either of them, we can hatch out chicks, but the ability to hatch out sex links dramatically streamlines the whole process of determining who is kept or sold, and who goes to a grow out pen.
You can make red and black sex links with that boy sell the eggs as hatching eggs and make a profit. I would go with what you have available.

You can make red and black sex links with that boy sell the eggs as hatching eggs and make a profit. I would go with what you have available.
Im not sure what you mean?

To make sex links, if my red bird is in fact a boy, I can use him over my SLW. You can also make black sex links with a solid male over a barred hen, which I don't have. 🤷

A male sex link cannot produce sex links. A mostly white male cannot produce sex links. When you breed two particular pure breds to make whatever type of sex link, the sex links become a terminal cross.

So based on the birds I have, a RIR male is about my best shot at being useful in that regard.

Im not sure what you mean?

To make sex links, if my red bird is in fact a boy, I can use him over my SLW. You can also make black sex links with a solid male over a barred hen, which I don't have. 🤷

A male sex link cannot produce sex links. A mostly white male cannot produce sex links. When you breed two particular pure breds to make whatever type of sex link, the sex links become a terminal cross.

So based on the birds I have, a RIR male is about my best shot at being useful in that regard.
Are we talking about marshmallow or the red one?

X2

The gender part is still pretty young to tell, but if I had guess one, Id say cock. The down on its head does look pretty light in color, but that just maybe because of the sunshine on his head.
Yeah, that's honestly why I wasn't sure. He was in the brooder with Bielefelders, and his head just looks blonde next to them. Where all the RIR pics I see the down looks much more ruddy.

Back
Top Bottom