Redcaps

i would really like to get a start of them this year... im thinking of ordering from a couple different hatcheries and maby Ulch/Turnland to... i would love to know what they look like from ideal... so keep us posted... and some chick pics would be nice to... thanks Elias

I have emailed countless people about these and so far not one response
he.gif
It seems as this breed has vanished except in hatcheries. Very, very sad.

Quote:
as soon as i get the money im going to do the great redcap project lol... that is order 25 chicks from every source that has them... so far i know of Urch/Turnland, mcmurry, and ideal... then cull down to 2 pairs or trios per line and breed from there... in a few years i could have some good birds... if anyone knows of other hatcheries that maintain breeding flocks of these birds let me know and ill add them to the list... several of the other hatcheries that list them are just drop shipping them from mcmurry or ideal...

i really want to do this...

Quote:
as soon as i get the money im going to do the great redcap project lol... that is order 25 chicks from every source that has them... so far i know of Urch/Turnland, mcmurry, and ideal... then cull down to 2 pairs or trios per line and breed from there... in a few years i could have some good birds... if anyone knows of other hatcheries that maintain breeding flocks of these birds let me know and ill add them to the list... several of the other hatcheries that list them are just drop shipping them from mcmurry or ideal...

Hi heritagehabitatfarms
I have 25 Redcaps ordered from Ideal Poultry that is due to be shiped from the hatchery on 03/16/11. I have the same goal as you in that some day I plan to have a very nice Redcap breeding flock. I plan to cull down to the ones that are closest to the Standard and breed their offspring to a separate Redcap line to keep from inbreeding. If you get Redcaps from another line other than Ideal Poultry we may be able to help each other out. Sand Hill Preservation Center also has the Redcap breed.

Redcap Farm

Last edited:
Quote:

Hi heritagehabitatfarms
I have 25 Redcaps ordered from Ideal Poultry that is due to be shiped from the hatchery on 03/16/11. I have the same goal as you in that some day I plan to have a very nice Redcap breeding flock. I plan to cull down to the ones that are closest to the Standard and breed their offspring to a separate Redcap line. If you get Redcaps from another line other than Ideal Poultry we may be able to help each other out. Sand Hill Preservation Center also has the Redcap breed.

Redcap Farm

ahhh thanks i did not realize sand hill had them... thanks for the info... Elias

Greetings! if I were getting into Redcaps, I'd get my stock from Sand Hill. As far as I know, there aren't any breeders hiding stock away. The Sand Hill stock is probably going to be the best. I'd have the goal of having three breeding pairs after the fisrt hatch. The following year, I'd hatch really heavy and cull a lot at 8 weeks for weight. I'd set the barameter to the upper 25% or 20% in weight, and run several hatches to get a minimum number in that weight category per pair. As they develop I'd follow type.

These birds are in desperate need of a hero.

Quote:
what about the urlch/turnland birds??? i cant seem to find anyone with them to ask what quality they are... im going to get some this year i doubt by the time i have money ill be able to get from sand hill or urlch/turnland as they both sell out early in the year... but im going to get some even if i have to go mcmurry and ideal.... got to start some where...

thanks for the advise... Elias

Back
Top Bottom