Removing/trimming rooster spurs

I find it's easier to lay the rooster on it's back on your lap and take a pair of dog toenail clippers and trim the Spurs until they start to bleed and it takes a while for them to grow back I only have to cut my roosters Spurs like 4 times a year.

You're supposed to stop before they bleed, just as if you were trimming his nails or a dog's or cat's nails. Hitting the quick like that hurts and causes him pain, just as it does a dog or cat. I'm sure you've trimmed one of your nails back too far and gotten the quick and it hurt. It's the same for him.

Last edited:
I just happen on this entry. I only have hens but I noticed thatn some of my hens have spurs like that. Is that normal? Can I remove them the same way?

Thanks Lou

I have a silk roo an he seems to have a hurt back still eating an drinking but not much movement I checked him today it seems to be right above his tail can a chicken have a broken back an still move

I have a silk roo an he seems to have a hurt back still eating an drinking but not much movement I checked him today it seems to be right above his tail can a chicken have a broken back an still move

You should start your own thread in the emergencies section; this thread is about trimming spurs and you'll get much more attention from those who can help you if you make your own thread.

Kind of a random question, but since I come from a dog breeder point of reference, can a spur on a pullet or cockerel have the spurs removed a la puppy dew claw removal? I mean, take them off or inhibit the growth at a very young age permanently? I have a two year old hen who has ONE spur that needs to be trimmed/removed regularly, but I for my next batch, I wondering if I can take care of that issue from the start.

Does anybody have any spurs to give away or sell
I am making a paper mache dragon for my office and would love to incorporate some into my design

A but late to this game but figured I'd weigh in. I actually de-spurred my rooster tonight. Never had rooster harm my hens but this rooster has ripped open three hens now.

I took pliers and close to the foot gently rocked them back and forth while holding onto the spur and the spur literally pops right off. One spur bled (read as slow bleed not gushing) and one didn't bleed at all. A little Blu-kote after and all done!

TRIMMING SPURS: .... I hold my chicken under one arm. Then I take a pair of needle nosed pliers and place them in the middle of the spur.... Nest, I medium firmly clamp the pliers on the spur,..... Then I move the pliers back and forth. Do not pull the spur off, only wiggle a little bit back and forth, do not force the spur out of the flesh. Within 20-60 seconds the spur will loosen and it will fall right off. The flesh underneath the spur will be tender and weepy. Put flour or blood stop in it. At this point I like to spray the tender flesh with blue coat, then put more flour on it. If I am removing a spur from a show bird, I will use antibiotic powder like terramycain (sp?) on top of the flour or blood stop. When I am sure the weepy flesh is covered up, I put my rooster down and let them go on their way. This is way less painful and stressful than cutting spurs off, and you do not have to worry about them bleeding to death from it. It takes quite awhile for the hard spur cover to grow back. When it does, remove it again. Their spurs will get smaller and smaller with time. Hope this helps, Cathryn

This sounds a lot like how the Nazis questioned POWs, by pulling the fingernails out the fingers and toes of captives. Use a hacksaw and rub the saw with a blob of beeswax or soap. If you misjudge where the quick is the wax or soap will plug or stop any bleeding.

About 3/4 inch from the back side of the chickens foot is about the best length to cut the spurs to.

My pullet and cockerel's nails are starting to grow long. (Their NAILS not their SPURS) does anyone have any advise on cutteng the nails of a pullet who doesnt like being held? My cockerel loves being held so i can cut his nails easily and he wont struggle much.

Back
Top Bottom