Removing/trimming rooster spurs

I just had to say we just tried the microwave potato method too - AMAZING! It definitely worked. We have bantys and silkies - didn't hurt the rooster, and it came out with my fingers just wiggling it for a few seconds. Highly recommend! Thanks for sharing the tip!!!

sandra

Whether you just jiggle back and forth the cover off or use the hot potato, this removes the spur covering to the quick. (never pull it off) I put flour or blood stop on them and let my cockerels and roosters go about their way. I've never had a problem with it. My gray silkie cockerels grow long thin spurs even though they are younger than most cockerels start to even grow a tip of a spur. I like to keep them off. Cathryn

I used the dremel tool and cut off about 1/3 of the spur. I think he was about 10 months old but can't remember for sure. How much you can cut off without hitting the quick probably depends on the age of the rooster and maybe his breed. Anyway, I did not see any blood. The rooster obviously felt no discomfort. I think the whole process hurt him about as much as trimming my toe nails hurts me as long as I stay out of the quick on my toes.

I wrapped the rooster in a towel, around his body holding his wings down. Covering his eyes keeps him calmer but make sure he can breathe. Once he was wrapped, he remained calm throughout the whole process.

I didn't realize that the spur had such an extended quick inside and day before yesterday I noticed my rooster's spurs were very long.
I thought they were just like overgrown nails... (real chicken newbie here guys!)
I got the dog nail clippers and about half way down gave it a clip... Blood everywhere!! He bled a puddle before I could get it stopped.
Luckily I was trimming nails and had some syptic (forgive spelling) powder ready and I put some on it and it stopped.
I was more traumatized than him but I didn't dare do the other side!

So I guess that is what happens when you use dog nail clippers (from bad experience).

I have a gentle - - - one year old rooster. I do not want him to hurt my hens.

TWO QUESTIONS - - -

Are the spurs removed to protect the hens or for some other reason ? ?

When ( what age) do you remove the spurs ?

I wonder if a small set of tube/hose cutters would cut through the spurs nicely...hmm...

tube_cutter_01.jpg

Quote:
No, you certainly don't have to. I don't.
I only have one rooster who tries to flog, but he gets kicked enough to where he is fairly timid.
I doubt I'll mess with his, unless it becomes a serious problem.

Back
Top Bottom