Reporting owing a Rooster in violation of local ordinance.

I often hear of situations where someone in an urban / suburban area has roosters where city ordinances don't allow them.

This REALLY frustrates me because many of our peeps who want to raise chickens legally (5-6 hens, no roosters) are constantly battling misinformation or "bad experiences" from neighbors, cities, etc. because someone was potentially oblivious, selfish, or otherwise keeping roosters in an area where there shouldn't be any.

One bad apple (person keeping a rooster illegally) often ruins the whole bunch (of people wanting to raise chickens legally). :(

I would do everything I could to resolve the matter with your neighbor in person. Creating an enemy in your neighborhood should be avoided I would think. If its not life and death, I do not involve police. Things escalate far too quickly with police involved. Food security is on many people's mind and a rooster is a very small annoyance to threaten a neighbor over. There is enough real problems in the world. Roosters are not one of them.

As one stated above that they were reported to have 7 Roo’s when In actuality they were 7 Hen’s. So does the OP know that to be 100% true is the point!
my question was in regards to the poster that i responded to saying they preferred the sounds of roosters to barking dogs and traffic.

preferences are great, but if what you prefer isn’t allowed then it’s completely irrelevant.

If you can convince your neighbor to keep the rooster in the coop through out the night, maybe that would help. The sound would be muffled.
This is what I do. My birds stay in the coop overnight until my neighnors are awake the next morning, and I haven't had any complaints about my rooster.

Back
Top Bottom