Rescued Ducklings

A heat plate would be better since heat lamps can cause fires. if you decide to go with a heat lamp then make sure to secure it really good. They still need heat at around 75-80 degrees and make sure you place it so they have a cool side and a warm side. Bless you for rescuing them they are precious.

A heat plate would be better since heat lamps can cause fires. if you decide to go with a heat lamp then make sure to secure it really good. They still need heat at around 75-80 degrees and make sure you place it so they have a cool side and a warm side. Bless you for rescuing them they are precious.
If you don’t have a heat plate and don’t want to pay for one, you can get a sunbeam heating pad that doesn’t have an auto-shutoff and put it on a cookie cooling rack so the babies can go under there and warm up. Basically a DIY heat plate. But it has to be a heating pad that will stay on longer than 2 hours. So check that carefully.

Thank you for taking in these little ones. Although very different sized, the two seem to be at the same stage of development judging by their shape and developing feathers.

I wonder if the little one has amonia burns round the face and neck. I would just keep them clean, warm and well fed for the two weeks you have them. Good you have appropriate food. The duck pellets will not harm the chick.

I rescue and rehab ducks and little ones grow so quickly, these two will look completely different in 2 weeks with good care. There may be no need fo any specific treatment for the little one if the feathers grow and s/he is happy. They are both snuggled round eachother in one photo. How cute.

Do update us on progress

In door cats may not be a problem depending on the cats. My cats have helped raise chickens and ducklings. One of the cats is a hunter, keeps us supplied with freshly killed mice and minor birds, but he looks after the ducklings.

Just an update: The little one is eating but seems more lethargic today. I've got a vet appointment tomorrow morning to have him seen.
The bigger duck is getting more active. Any suggestions on toys I can put in the kennel for them?

Little duck has been on antibiotics for 3 days for the bacterial skin infection and looks so much better. He's putting on weight, starting to groom himself and something (fuzz or feathers, no idea which) is growing on his bald patches.
My husband and I have set up a 2m square lidded pen with a pool that connects back to their cage. Today I added a pot full of dirt for the chicken to have a dust bath. They all seem happy and are being spoiled with peas, lettuce, tomato, corn, zucchini, grapes and peaches.
We've been bringing the cage into the garage every night except last night. It's getting to be too hot for them in there. (It's still Summer here in Sydney Australia.)
Any other tips? I've been reading up as much info as I can.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_005651819_exported_27983.jpg
    PXL_20230218_005651819_exported_27983.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230218_021941179_exported_8761.jpg
    PXL_20230218_021941179_exported_8761.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230220_032646590_exported_17929.jpg
    PXL_20230220_032646590_exported_17929.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230220_153449_603_exported_1008.jpg
    20230220_153449_603_exported_1008.jpg