Rescued this fine young man after somebody dumped him

A better picture of him today. Update he has 3 running mates. I have to catch him! He's getting chased by hawks, osprey, coyotes, humans, humans walking dogs...he's way skittish. Feeding him and his guys every other day. Hope he will stay safe. I'm not giving up on him

Attachments

• received_790554158538053.jpeg
    received_790554158538053.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 10
  • received_1381053182249675.jpeg
    received_1381053182249675.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 9
  • received_947352369340085.jpeg
    received_947352369340085.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 10
  • received_1766249646889953.jpeg
    received_1766249646889953.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 9
I am happy your choosing to give this rooster a chance but be wary.People often dump off roosters because they are being mean but more often it’s because the rooster has a bad temperament or is abusive toward hens!Watch him carefully.
I'm kinda starting to see that. He's bit me 3 times, and I dumbly put two Bantam Cochin cross with him and one came running up to my sliding glass door two nights ago wanting in. Trying to chalk it up to new momma, new home, new barn, but I am definitely on the watch.

Provide a link to the “dumped” thread, please...

Like everyone else, people that do this kind of think are IMHO a waste of space. Eventually, they will get their “Come-uppance”...
Agreed.
I think the OP is right - either they think the domestic animal with no real-life experience will fend for itself, or they're too big of cowards to deal with it properly.
Usually those animals have issues they were too inexperienced to fix through training (maybe not roosters but still).

Someone once talked about how they were sick of their cat meowing so they dumped it off in the vicinity of a farm. Was it spayed? Had it ever been outside? Did the farmer even know? It ran off into the woods. Disgusted me, and I can't believe the woman now has children...

I'm kinda starting to see that. He's bit me 3 times, and I dumbly put two Bantam Cochin cross with him and one came running up to my sliding glass door two nights ago wanting in. Trying to chalk it up to new momma, new home, new barn, but I am definitely on the watch.
You definitly want to put larger hens with him!Bantams are too small for such a big boy he will squish them!Rooster's his size can handle up to 12 hens. 2 sounds like a small amount of hens to keep with him,Rooster's can ruin a hen's back from too much attention!

Follow up on curby. I realized he was no longer in his pen. Searched until dark . Oddly his tiny hen was also gone. After frantic hiking and searching, I looked in his barn as last resort and see his hen, Almond, on the floor. Scooped her up and brought her in to cuddle and calm. For whatever reason, mite/lice check, just because once over, or just something said to, I hoisted her rear up to the light but I didn't need any light to see what insaw.sorry should have warned. So off go research all I can about prolapse. I don't know if Curby is responsible or she was out of oyster shell for too long. It was about two weeks. So I washed her bottom of carefully in the bathtub. I gently repositioned what was hanging out back inside I used the microcyn first and neosporin as a lubricant to ease her outsides back in. I applied microcyn to ward infection and lastly neosporin because I swear I have seen miracles with Neosporin. I then tucked her in a small carrier with soft blanket, oyster shell , medicated chick starter and water, and prayed. To be honest I thought I was saying goodbye to her. She had been such a good hen over time and we had co-parented so many babies. I really thought this was it. By morning I tentatively raised the carrier lid off and behold! My hen was bright eyed, had eaten and more importantly not feed! She did leave something she had passed which I recognized as a shell-less egg. So it appears she was egg bound. This morning her cloaca is neat as a I don't know, purse? Miracle. Pooping like a champ. Low lighting so she will hopefully not try to lay an egg.. I know we're not totally out of the woods yet, but I feel cleanliness, love, medication and time, my litter Almond Roca will troop on. Thank you to everyone who read this long novel!

Follow up on curby. I realized he was no longer in his pen. Searched until dark . Oddly his tiny hen was also gone. After frantic hiking and searching, I looked in his barn as last resort and see his hen, Almond, on the floor. Scooped her up and brought her in to cuddle and calm. For whatever reason, mite/lice check, just because once over, or just something said to, I hoisted her rear up to the light but I didn't need any light to see what insaw.sorry should have warned. So off go research all I can about prolapse. I don't know if Curby is responsible or she was out of oyster shell for too long. It was about two weeks. So I washed her bottom of carefully in the bathtub. I gently repositioned what was hanging out back inside I used the microcyn first and neosporin as a lubricant to ease her outsides back in. I applied microcyn to ward infection and lastly neosporin because I swear I have seen miracles with Neosporin. I then tucked her in a small carrier with soft blanket, oyster shell , medicated chick starter and water, and prayed. To be honest I thought I was saying goodbye to her. She had been such a good hen over time and we had co-parented so many babies. I really thought this was it. By morning I tentatively raised the carrier lid off and behold! My hen was bright eyed, had eaten and more importantly not feed! She did leave something she had passed which I recognized as a shell-less egg. So it appears she was egg bound. This morning her cloaca is neat as a I don't know, purse? Miracle. Pooping like a champ. Low lighting so she will hopefully not try to lay an egg.. I know we're not totally out of the woods yet, but I feel cleanliness, love, medication and time, my litter Almond Roca will troop on. Thank you to everyone who read this long novel!
I’m glad your hen is okay. A rooster cannot cause a prolapse, but he could’ve stressed her out, which may be a contributing factor. Did you find the rooster? Maybe it would be best to keep your new roosters in a rooster-only flock so they don’t overbreed your hens.

Back
Top Bottom