Restless leg syndrome anyone?

Most people assume they have RLS if their legs are - well - restless.

But actually RLS is a neurological disorder and neurological medicines treat it. It's not a serious neurological disorder, but it is very annoying.

Not all 'restlessness of legs at night' is RLS. Make sure of what you have, and get the treatment for it from a doctor.

RLS can be caused by eating food that contains additives like preservatives, artificial colors and flavors.

It is best to eat a diet with as much fresh food cooked from scratch as possible.

I had this for years until I changed my diet.

I've had RLS most of my life. I remember as a child having to punch myself (especially on long trips) as a previous poster described, because it felt better than that awful creepy feeling. I tell others it is somewhere between a tickle and a bad toothache.

I have been on Requip/ropinorole since my second child was born 7 years ago. Have any of you noticed it stops working after a year or so? Then I rotate onto one of the other, more expensive, medicines for a few months.

I have tried lots of diet modifications to no avail. I love fruit, vegetables and all that. I happily use acupuncture for arthritis and asthma, but it hasn't been able to do anything for the RLS. Exercise is a weird thing - just enough helps, but a real challenging workout or too much mileage aggravates things. There are a few yoga type stretches that can help a little at night, but I probably do them just like the punching - overdo it so it overrides the feeling.

One thing that really triggers a bad night is driving. Too much time sitting. But I am a mom - just call me the kids' chaffeur!

My legs get very twitchy during class.... It will get so bad I'll break my pencil on purpose so I can get up and sharpen it when I've already gone to the restroom. I don't usually get it at night, just during class. I hate when I have a test or quiz and just can't concentrate because of it. I sit there and stretch and rub them... doesn't go away.

It's highly unlikely I will ever be pregnant, none of the men in my family ever have been. So I'll leave you with the words of Steven Wright. "I hate when my foot falls asleep during the day, 'cause that means it's gonna be up all night".

Quote:
One of my close friend's mom is on the "Cave Man Diet" she loves it. All she can eat is fresh veggies, fruit, and meat. She can't have anything a cave man couldn't eat. She lost a ton of weight and has more energy then ever.

P-Funk
lol.png
lau.gif

Em I wish I had the willpower
hmm.png

I agree that it is a neurological issue. I take neurontin for many neurological issues that I have, and it REALLY stops the restless leg. Doesn't seem to help the auras with the migraines, but worth it for the legs!

Back
Top Bottom