Restless leg syndrome anyone?

I don't know if this restless leg syndrome but I can not sit comfortably unless I'm shaking my leg....I have to do it or I get really annoyed. I also do it at night...Is this restless leg syndrome or just a bad habit?

A couple 2 or 3 years ago on here when they first had those commercials for restless leg syndrome everyone made fun of it. I'm surprised That so many people have this problem.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

My DH has it but must be mild cuz it's not every night. He takes a low dose Valium when it gets bad.

Quote:
Diet changes did not give me any relief at all. Glad to hear it helped you though, as I know it is miserable.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm

In most cases, the cause of RLS is unknown. However, it may have a genetic component; RLS is often found in families where the onset of symptoms is before age 40. Specific gene variants have been associated with RLS. Evidence indicates that low levels of iron in the brain also may be responsible for RLS.

Considerable evidence suggests that RLS is related to a dysfunction in the brain’s basal ganglia circuits that use the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is needed to produce smooth, purposeful muscle activity and movement. Disruption of these pathways frequently results in involuntary movements. Individuals with Parkinson’s disease, another disorder of the basal ganglia’s dopamine pathways, often have RLS as well.

RLS also appears to be related to the following factors or conditions, although researchers do not yet know if these factors actually cause RLS:

* Chronic diseases such as kidney failure, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy. Treating the underlying condition often provides relief from RLS symptoms.
* Certain medications that may aggravate symptoms. These medications include antinausea drugs (prochlorperazine or metoclopramide), antipsychotic drugs (haloperidol or phenothiazine derivatives), antidepressants that increase serotonin, and some cold and allergy medications-that contain sedating antihistamines.
* Pregnancy, especially in the last trimester. In most cases, symptoms usually disappear within 4 weeks after delivery.

Alcohol and sleep deprivation also may aggravate or trigger symptoms in some individuals. Reducing or completely eliminating these factors may relieve symptoms, but it is unclear if this can prevent RLS symptoms from occurring at all.

wood&feathers :

I have been on Requip/ropinorole since my second child was born 7 years ago. Have any of you noticed it stops working after a year or so? Then I rotate onto one of the other, more expensive, medicines for a few months.

My doctor has increased my dosage several times. It still works for me, but I require higher dosages. Don't know what he will do next, as I am currently on the highest dosage recommended, 4 mg each night.​

When you try to block a neurotransmitter, the neuroceceptor/transmitter team generally says, 'hey, i've got an idea, i'll just change my chemistry around, so i react the same way even though i'm getting less dopamine activity'.

Little stinkers, those neuroreceptors.

But that's why a change of med or increase of dose will work again. The drug doesn't actually stop working - the brain actually revamps its chemistry to do a slightly sneaky end run around it.

In other words, your body chemistry does not want to get rid of RLS, and you do.

Why? Molecules and stuff like that. Neuroreceptors aren't smart enough to be deliberately annoying...LOL.

That gotta-jiggle-that-leg feeling when you're awake probably is not RLS if that's the ONLY thing you have.

You may have some nervous tension, or some medicines (especially asthma medicines) can give you kind of a full, congested, not-exactly-achey-but-sorta 'gotta move it' feeling in your legs. So can some muscle sorenesses and tensions.

Stretching that area may help.

Last edited:
It's interesting to hear what RLS actually is. When I was heavier I would get uncomfortable sitting after about 1 hour. My leg felt like I was pinching a nerve or something. Didn't actually go to sleep. They used to do that every time I went to the bathroom though. Two or three chapters later.

Sounds like another really crummy condition.

Has anyone heard those radio commercials for "Shift work disorder"? Sounds like the drug for it is a form of amphetamines. The possible side effects disclaimer is longer than the commercial and is really scary.

Quote:
Your legs are hairy and you have a hairy butt too. I think you should see a doctor for fuzzie butt syndrome.

STOP PEEKING IN MY WINDOWS!!
pop.gif

Oh Kathy, I don't think I could stand 4 mg of ropinorole! Changing meds for 3 months seemed to reset things for me, but so many of these things are VERY individual in response. I can't say I like the Requip - it makes me nauseous when the dose gets up to 2mg - but at least being able to go to sleep alleviates my other issues with muscle and joint pain.

The doc says I have fibromyalgia, another vague collection of symptoms, but I prefer to just think of my body as being "high mileage". I spent 10 years doing contract wildlife surveys in rugged terrain, lots of hard miles. Also built 2 houses, and put down 70 tons of gravel to build a road by hand in 2 years. Young and stupid...

Quote:
Your legs are hairy and you have a hairy butt too. I think you should see a doctor for fuzzie butt syndrome.

STOP PEEKING IN MY WINDOWS!!
pop.gif

I just looked at your avatar.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom