Rhode Island White Thread

Pics
I've discovered White Marans. Is it possible she's this breed? Still not laying. Marans have dark eggs, so I'll know for sure when she lays.

My RIW are coming up 13 weeks and they are getting big some of the roosters are trying to crow. I think I'll start culling them. I'll hatch earlier next year I hope. I went to Ks 5/30 and picked these up. I hope to hatch by March next year. I hope to at least sell some hatching eggs next year. I absolutely love these chickens so far.

My birds are about the same age but none are trying to crow yet. I have already separated the males into bachelor coops and pens. I do it early then there is less friction as long as there are no females.

I usually have eggs available in the spring when they seem to be the most fertile. I think the summer heat here affects them as well as the cool in the winter months. In years past I did hatch year around but now I only hatch in the spring because that is when I seem to have my best hatch rates. My original RC RIW's came from a person that had gotten them from Sand Hill Preservation.
This was my first male Shemp.

Shemp

Lucky son of Shemp's.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Rob,
I thought I'd give you an update on the chicks. All are fine, one turned out to be a male and the rest are females. They are in a pen with some of my Heritage RIR's the same age. Soon I will be moving them but first I have to get rid of more HRIR males to make room. All of my coops and pens are full. I did band them and the females are ok with their leg bands but the cockerel picks sometimes at his.There isn't a whole lot of differences right now between the lines but they are still young. The young males are just starting to crow. I will be selling several of the cockerels and only keeping a few. I have way too many right now. In my end two pens and coops they found a hole in the fence and I went out and all of the boys were in one pen. I fixed it and put up new wire between the pens, but now they are mixed up as far as who came from what rooster in those two pens. I hadn't banded them yet. I plan on selling all of them. I have two other pens that I haven't sorted out yet but have banded the birds including the ones from you. The RC RIR eggs I got from you are in another coop. They are still in the chick grow-out coop. I have one young RC RIR male from my hatch from my Dexter and it is blind. He is about a month older than the other chicks but the same size and is doing well in with the younger ones. He finds the feed and water ( I have some cage cups on wire in the coop) and goes outside and most of the time finds his way into the coop at night. Every once in awhile I have to put it in the coop in the evening but most of the time he finds his way

I found 2 eggs on one of my coop floors this morning. I have both RIR and RIW's in that coop and pen. I suspect it was probably the RIW's that layed the eggs. Time to open up the nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom