Rhode Island White Thread

They grey ones are supposed to carry the silver gene which makes them better for the sex linking. Sorry I have not been on BYC for eons. I used to get post all the time any more I get zip.

Most old timers believe that Rhode Island White went extinct. They never achieved a large population or following in the first place. Robert Blosl thinks they went away, that's pretty good authority.

The birds being sold as RIW are often just white (silver) birds. Many do not even have rose combs, for pity sake. Mr Blosl thinks they are merely recreations using Rocks, Leghorns and Wyandottes and that seems likely. The RIW is not a white variety of the Red, that is true. It is a whole other breed, or was. What is being sold is so far, far from brick shaped body type it isn't funny.

The RIW can/could be re-created, however. I'm not sure a huge following would keep the re-creation alive either, but who knows.

I don't know if anyone has the Bantam version either, accepted by the American Bantam Association. No idea.

Did you ever hear anything from someone who does bantams? I would love to find some eggs or chicks.

Quote:
This I'm sure is quite true. My original Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites came from Sand Hill Preservation. I bought them from a woman that had bought them from them but after she got them decided she didn't want them so I bought them from her. That was many years ago. I have been working on mine by selecting the best of my hatches. Also several years ago I bought a cockerel from another gal whose birds also originally came from Sand Hill Preservation. I have never heard of this breed having bantams either.
This is Patty.

Patty loves my husband and goes looking for him when she is out.

This is Shemp my original rooster

This is Shemp's son Lucky

Last edited:
I hatched 7 little RIW babies a couple of days ago! I have more eggs in the incubator. I am glad to see I will have a next generation and hope to help keep this breed from going extinct.

Haven't been on for quite awhile. Hope everyone had very successful hatches. I hatched some but have more in the incubator due to hatch very shortly. I have to watch for pips. I know I marked the wrong day on my calendar. oops...
hide.gif

If anyone is interested in hatching eggs. I will have them available for a short while. I do send eggs from 2 family groups of my top breeders and mark the eggs so if anyone if interested in preserving the breed they are not in-breeding. They are related but not sister/brother (cousins).
http://www.hilltop-farm.info/store

Here are some youngsters from last years hatch.

For whatever reasons I haven't been able to sign into my facebook accounts. For anyone interested in hatching eggs in the spring 2017 for Single Comb Rhode Island Red (Reese/Mohawk line) and Rose Comb Rhode Island White hatching eggs, please go to the following link and sign up and as soon as we have done some test hatches and determine that the eggs should have a very good hatch rate, we will notify everyone on our list who is interested in hatching eggs.

I'm moving birds around and getting them sorted out for the next breeding season as well as maintenance on the coops and pens too. I'll be glad when the weather starts getting a little cooler. The days here are still in the upper 80's and lower 90's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X0kSnhcVXuEMUCFFWrL9P-9LTgiqLWlSy3kQuNjEJNU/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I hatched 7 little RIW babies a couple of days ago! I have more eggs in the incubator. I am glad to see I will have a next generation and hope to help keep this breed from going extinct.

How are your chicks doing? How did the rest of the eggs hatch out? Just curious.

I inquired with Cackle Hatchery. A hatchery with a history of purchasing breeding stock from quality breeders of several different breeds.
I asked about this not a real breed business. Turns out the R.I.W steaight comb stock are culls that hatched with a straight comb. Which if you look at what breeds created the R.I.W rose comb. They purchased them from 3 different breeders that were working on the recovery of the breed. I have 5 hens that are just beginning to lay. I have to say that in my lifetime I have never been happier with the health and virility of a breed of chicken. The SC is imperative to my hybrid project. A rose comb would not work as well.

Back
Top Bottom