Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Pics
Pheasants love to roost.If your cage is too low for them to roost then it is easy for predators to grab them.There pen should be at least 6' hi with a roost placed around 4' down,this will be too low for anything to grab them from the top.I would also nail a piece on wood to the end of the perch so they can not get grabbed from the side of the cage as it seems like pheasants like to roost to the ends of their perch.Straw and hay are good for bedding.
If you provide heat for any bird they will not develop the down they need to keep warm.If you provide heat and they don't have the down and you lose power,they may die because they do not have the proper insulation to keep them warm.Plus if your using straw for bedding and somehow the heat source falls you will have a fire very quickly.I strongly suggest to heat source.Most birds will climatize if they are left outside.You can't bring them out in the fall and expect them to climatize,they need to be out there in the spring time and leave them and they will do the rest.
I raise cockatiels outside year round here in N.H. with no heat and they do great.I do poly there entire pen so no drafts can get to them.If you look at pic 1 you can see thet the bottom 3' is open,these are pens with my pheasants in them.In pic 2 the entire pen is covered in poly,this is where the cocktiels,diamond doves,grey peacock pheasant and germain peacock pheasants are.Both pheasant species require heat and I do not provide them with heat,I just keep the drafts off from them.This is my 1st year with the germains so I will see how they do.I would not try this with any other species of peacock pheasants.I know the grey can handle it,but I've been told the germain are iffy.
In N.H.,Tony.

My cage with the peasants is pretty secure. So no worries for preditors. Hopefuly soon i can make a bigger home for them. No resources at this time. Thank you for the input. Helpful. Would my quail develope the warm dawn if they inly have heat source for the really cold nights and no heat during the day? I waited till the nights got down to uper thirties before putting a lamp in. They are above ground metal cages. I put cardboard around the cage and a tarp on top. Cant cover the front of it since the door takes up half of the side. Straw is only in the nesting box
Thanks

All birds will develop down to keep them warm.If they have heat at any time I would think it would interfer with the down production.What beed of quail do you raise?Bobwhites,and mountain quail have no problems with the cold,I am not to sure on the valleys,gambles,coturnix,mearns and all the other species of quail.
In N.H.,Tony.

All birds will develop down to keep them warm.If they have heat at any time I would think it would interfer with the down production.What beed of quail do you raise?Bobwhites,and mountain quail have no problems with the cold,I am not to sure on the valleys,gambles,coturnix,mearns and all the other species of quail.
In N.H.,Tony.

Mine are coturnix

Wonderful info!! I have tons of wild doves but I want Pheasants and Bobwhites on My Small Farm .
he.gif
To bad I'm not wealthy I would buy the Whole Hollow and turn it into a Wildlife Heaven. That would make for some wonderful neighbors.

I wonder if I could get some advice regarding breeding habits. I have a pair of fancy pheasants(meaning not ringtails) They were ok together for the first few months possibly because they weren't fully mature than I noticed the hens head was bloodied. I kept them separate but where they could hear each other until she started laying eggs. Late February I think. Anyway I now have a specially built pheasant cage with moveable partition. I let them in together for about an hour or if I am sure he has bread her. But her head always is bloodied which I put salve on. My question is how often should I allow him in with her. She lays an egg about every 3 days. So far I have 2 under a hen and am saving one for another broody hen or the incubator.

you can get ringneck pheasants through hatcheries not to expensive but fancy breeds are more and harder to find. I don't know where to get bobwhite quail. I would love some too.

I wonder if I could get some advice regarding breeding habits. I have a pair of fancy pheasants(meaning not ringtails) They were ok together for the first few months possibly because they weren't fully mature than I noticed the hens head was bloodied. I kept them separate but where they could hear each other until she started laying eggs. Late February I think. Anyway I now have a specially built pheasant cage with moveable partition. I let them in together for about an hour or if I am sure he has bread her. But her head always is bloodied which I put salve on. My question is how often should I allow him in with her. She lays an egg about every 3 days. So far I have 2 under a hen and am saving one for another broody hen or the incubator.

Not sure about your pheasants. I raised Ringnecks. Many breeders use pinless peepers.
http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/Game-Birds
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pinless_peepers.html
http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers-p/pinless-p-1.htm
Wonderful info!! I have tons of wild doves but I want Pheasants and Bobwhites on My Small Farm .
he.gif
To bad I'm not wealthy I would buy the Whole Hollow and turn it into a Wildlife Heaven. That would make for some wonderful neighbors.

you can get ringneck pheasants through hatcheries not to expensive but fancy breeds are more and harder to find. I don't know where to get bobwhite quail. I would love some too.

What is the exact reason for not raising pheasants and chickens together? Is it because chickens carry blackhead and the pheasants can become ill? Has anyone has success with having a broody chicken hen raise pheasant chicks? Thank you for any information.

Back
Top Bottom