Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Pics
My Ringneck Pheasant eggs hatched the end of last week. They are so much fun to watch. They are little acrobats.
Here is a pic just after they hatched.
Pictureb105.jpg

I was raised in SE PA and we always had pheasants everywhere but they seem to have vanished does anyone no why. Also I now live on the Eastern Shore on MD where ther are no pheasants but it sounds like the right habitat for them. It is marshy and wooded with ditches running through all the farm fields for drainage since it is flat land. Does anyone know any reason pheasants would not survive here. I would like to raise and release some on a farm where I deer hunt.

I have some info on the sexing subject, I was told when I bought mine that males will have a backward 7 behind their eye. Not sure how well this works and I think it gets more evident with age.

Quote:
Sadly most of the 350 Pheasant eggs turned out to be infertile. I guess even pheasants don't like the heat. My RIR roosters certainly don't. and out of 1-1/2 dozen chicken eggs only 5 turned out to be fertile and hatched. I guess because all of the eggs that were fertile hatched I can say I had a 100% hatch. I had around 50 of the Pheasant eggs hatch.

This was the 1st hatch. We had 2 hatches.
IMG_3071.jpg
IMG_3072.jpg
Pictureb073.jpg
Pictureb105.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so have a few questions since I am totally green but currently own around 22 pheasants. One of those a baby and growing with 4 quail
smile.png

-In the same pen as the pheasants I also have 11 guina fowl, 3 chukar partridges. Is that bad? I keep reading you shouldn't keep different birds together....
-If you can't buy game bird feed what is the next best thing to feed them?...already had them on med. turkey starter and now am feeding them hen scratch as it's all I can get at our feed store.
-Also this might sound crazy but would like to find a way to feed the baby pheasants non medicated feed. Don't care for the medicated feed. Is there something you can feed them that isn't medicated? The only turkey starter they have is medicated....
-what % of protein should be in the grower if I can find some....I thing it's only 16% in the turkey grower and that is non med. Would that be enough protein?
-when is the best age to butcher pheasants? I seem to have alot of males and really don't need that many....ordered them all from a hatchey except the one I hatched out with the quail eggs I got.

Inspite of all my questions everyone seems to be happy and healthy minus a few tail feathers
sad.png
But if I'm doing something wrong I wouldn't mind knowing before something does
hmm.png
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The boy have really gotten their colors now.
IMG_3328.jpg
IMG_3317.jpg

We planted a couple of small fields of stuff they are supposed to like. Apparently they do as they are in it most of the time. It is the plants in the background of this pic.
IMG_3320.jpg

Hubby giving the Pheasants some treats.
IMG_3370.jpg

Quote:
they shouldnt and you DONT have wild pheasants in NE PA. they are stocked birds. all PA pheasants are farm raised, just like those...

Quote:
they shouldnt and you DONT have wild pheasants in NE PA. they are stocked birds. all PA pheasants are farm raised, just like those...

actually there used to be a wild breed of pheasant in PA, it was like completely red.

Back
Top Bottom