RIR Breed Thread

To you serious breeders and breed historians, I appreciate reading your insights into the RIR breed. I would appreciate someone putting together a comparison of various breeding lines such as Underwood and Mohawk. I do not know how many lines there are, their histories, or line characteristics. I realize that line characteristics may be debatable but really would like to know when you hear the name of a particular line, what is the first trait that comes to mind?

I have 6 rir 14 week old chickens. I have 3 that look like the pic above and 3 that are obviously hens. Any thoughts on if these 3 are a roos??

i got these from cackle, i was told they arent the best quality because of where they came from. they will hopefully turn out great for where they came from the way i feed them. i feed all organic non gmo feed its 26.00 but its worth it

Last edited:
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Hello this is Yoko. I've attached some pics of her. I'm hoping you guys can tell me if you think this is a Hen or a Roo?

We are newbies! In anticipation of our upcoming hatching eggs, thought we would start with 2 chicks. We have raised birds before and just wanted to be familiar with behaviors and needs before we start with newly hatched chicks. At least, this is what I tell myself. The reality is that my daughter said, "please can I take that one home? It's the only one and we have been watching 'her' for a week!" My daughter is 13 and wants to be a farmer. Another little girl looks over to her and said, "If you want 'her' I won't take her and i'll save her for you." Well how could I argue? The unselfish behavior of this little girl, just because my daughter was drawn to "her"? So I caved... Besides, we already got the coop, brooder is ready. We brought home a "Bantam straight run" um.

First thing, I saw these chicks unpacked as they were a few days late with their Chick Days, that I eagerly anticipated (not just for the kids) :) .

This chick is the same size now as the Barred Rock I purchased the next day. Oh that was because I realized it wasn't good for this chick to be alone (perhaps not so altruistic).

So, first off we decided she is female, but we didn't even have another to compare to as the others there appeared to be D'uccles the Mille Fleur (forgive my spelling). So, she looks to me as RIR or a mixed of that nature. Also, does (she) appear to be a pullet? She's a sweetheart and has warmed up. I'm glad I got another to keep her company. When we pick up one, they start calling to each other... So sweet!
[/IMG]

Looked back at my thread. Apparently, I didn't choose so poorly, afterAll. Both of these turned out to be hens.

Last edited:
I want to hatch some rhode island red chicks and i am looking to buy eggs locally. We are in Chicago. Please let me know if you can help
Thanks in advance

I want to hatch some rhode island red chicks and i am looking to buy eggs locally. We are in Chicago. Please let me know if you can help
Thanks in advance
I bought 21 RIR hatching eggs, I hatched out 13 birds. They were shipped in the mail, and all but 4 had detached aircells. Even so, they still hatched. Dont hesitate to buy hatching eggs. If you decide to expand beyond local, I know a person with some fantastic genetics.

Back
Top Bottom