RodNTN's chat thread!

They know about BYC they just don't go on it.
1f60a.png

Lily I understand they are your friends and family, But that's just cruel what they are doing to the chickens.And what I said above has nothing to do with starting a fight, I was just saying what I would do.
It's not cruel anymore. Their chickens are perfectly happy and they don't need to eat the food. They let their chickens outside every morning and they love it! I've already talked to their son (who owns the chickens) and he said he would talk to his mom. I'm going to talk with them again about the food later on this week.

The chickens are fine and happy! They're getting fresh food and water pretty much every morning and they love free-ranging.

Shootingstars. I must sound so despicable right now! :oops:
You have a local feed store, right?
They always have TONS of informational and free booklets at almost any feed supply about raising chickens!
All that matters most is that they get the information they need. ;) Perhaps tell them about BYC?
Thanks for your help Sarah but I couldn't do that. Like I said to Kyndra I'm fine with helping them out once in a while and before they weren't receiving the best care but everyone's alive and well!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
I would feel better if I talked to them personally.

You do?

Ok so here's the story:

Our neighbours get really exited with animals and don't always think before they get something. This is the case when they got chickens. They got a book all about how to build a chicken coop and when they were down building it they got chickens without researching or anything. The first few days they didn't let them out (even thought it was middle of September) and didn't give them any food our water. We took care of them for the first few weeks and my parents said we had to stop because they were their chickens and they had to take care of them. Our neighbours started giving them food and water but they still didn't let them outside. One of the problems was that the coop had lots of cracks and holes so whenever it rained the  water would seep in and the bedding would get mouldy and stinky. They finally let them outside but still didn't change the bedding.

Sometimes they would forget to lock up the chickens so we did it for them. One night it was really windy and we did out chickens late and we found our neighbours coop door closed and chickens scattered everywhere. The neighbours weren't home so we spent about an hour looking for the lost chickens and we found all them except for Brownie. Who never came back. They started realizing how much the coop smelled and we could even smell it from our house so they changed it. 

Our neighbours go away a lot and usually don't tell anyone so we would find their chickens a few days later unkept so we took care of them till they came back. Just last night they left unexpectedly for a day trip and it was raining and extremely windy outside so I went down to lock up my chickens and one of their hens was outside pacing around the chicken coop so I took a closer look and the door was closed. Rusty their rooster was cuddling two of of eleven hens on top of the coop. I put them inside and saw that there was chickens inside the coop stuck inside their for who knows how long. There was still two chickens missing and about 25 minutes later I found them both.

They are planning to hatch chicks as soon as possible but it's so cold outside and the way they're taking care of their chickens now I don't think it's going to work out. Like I said before they leave a lot without telling everyone but they don't realize chickens can't take care of themselves for a few days like cats and dogs can. I'm afraid the poor chicks will die because of sicknesses and being alone for periods of time. 

I'm struggling what to say to them because I don't want to be nosy and unfriendly but for them it's not a good idea to get chicks at this time. They're also planning to get sheep, goats, and dogs along with their chickens and we're all afraid we will be doing all the work. Can I have some advice of what to say?

I'm sorry to say that I think some people need to have animals die to learn. :hit

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom