Roos or hens

Redwolf141

Chirping
Feb 15, 2016
Johnstown Pa

One SLW and one speckled sussex they are suppose to be hens but i wonder, both are 7 weeks old. The SLW is stella and my gitlfriends fav so really hoping for a,hen. The SS is daisy. They dont carry themselves like roos but i will leave that to the experts.

Maybe not identical...but Ill show you what I am talking about.
Your chicken on the left in the second picture... You notice how her "comb" is kinda wide and although it sticks up a little, ita flat and not pointed? That is exactly how my hens (in pic) "comb" is. Wide, not totally flat, but not pointy.
But then your other chicken....his comb sticks up and is pointy. Its very narrow and not at all wide. Therefore, you have a hen on the left and a roo on the right. :)
Shouldn't be long before he crows. Mine was about that size when he started TRYING (it was hilarious) to crow.
There ya go :)

Maybe not identical...but Ill show you what I am talking about.
Your chicken on the left in the second picture... You notice how her "comb" is kinda wide and although it sticks up a little, ita flat and not pointed? That is exactly how my hens (in pic) "comb" is. Wide, not totally flat, but not pointy.
But then your other chicken....his comb sticks up and is pointy. Its very narrow and not at all wide. Therefore, you have a hen on the left and a roo on the right. :)
Shouldn't be long before he crows. Mine was about that size when he started TRYING (it was hilarious) to crow.
There ya go :)

This is not correct. The differences between combs you are describing are genetic differences and are based on ancestry and breed, not gender. Certain breeds will develop single combs, others rose, others walnut, and sometimes pea or V combs and even Buttercup.

Wyandottes are a rose comb breed and both cocks and hens will show flat combs. Sussex are a single comb breed and both cocks and hens will show single combs. Males will always be larger but not differently shaped.

Examples (photos not mine):

Wyandotte cock, rose comb

Wyandotte hen, rose comb

? Cock, single comb

Barred Rock hen, single comb

Comb type charts

Back
Top Bottom