Rooster Chat

Pics
Mission accomplished. It was surprisingly uneventful. A couple pecks and a chase around the run and then they just ignored each other the rest of the day. Looks like I was worried for no reason. Lol

Hi there I have almost always had two or more roosters together at one time at it really does depend on the individual rooster.
My last two roosters got on perfectly fine. They shared one big pen but had their own loyal hens and food bowls. Recently Ive got two different roosters and they do not get on at all so they have their own separate pens.
When I first got these two they would crow all day long to compete with each other and I was worried that I'd have to get rid of one. However, one day they managed to get into the same pen and boy did they have a big fight. Afterwards though there was no more unnecessary crowing as they had been able to assert who the top rooster was. So you may even have to let them have it out when you get them.

You aren't going to really be able to plan ahead with this is what I'm trying to say. You may just try and stick with breeds that are known to generally be less aggressive but there aren't any specific breeds that crow less than others.
Also Ive had no success with keeping roosters quiet, they can crow through anything hahah.
So...I could let them run together. I don't feel that I have enough hens yet.. Although the current guy is definitely subordinate material. He only mates every now and then, rarely crows during the day unless someone walks past or kids scream at the playground or outside (like barking dog would)

I am wanting to do specific breeding, and I hate to get rid of a good free range roo for a bad one. I need one to range with the flock and not fuss with me or the kids. And somehow add one without freaking out the neighbors...

I currently have two roosters and ten cockerels, with about seven of them crowing and mating. The breeds are Jersey Giant, Game x Silkie, Mille Fleur D' Uccle, Icelandic, Orpington, Mottled Cochin, Speckled Sussex, and Orpington crossed with either of the two first roosters. A D'Uccle and the Orpington are going to my grandmother with some hens, and the Sussex might go to someone as a pair, but the rest I am keeping.
I really like my boys.
My D'Uccle Cockerel was a wonderful gentleman. Crowed at respectful times of day. Was great with the girls, never agressive, took treats from my hand.... Your Grammy will enjoy him for sure!

We have a rooster that is about 7-8 months old. He was not something we planed on, but he is what he is. So far no major issues until this weekend. He is not really friendly, he will eat out of our hands nicley, but will not let us pet him. In the mornings he will go after the girls with real gusto, but seems to calm down fairly quickly. Over all he is good with the girls, lets them eat first, watches out for them, things like that.

My 2 yr old grand daughter is visiting us this weekend. He keeps trying to attack her. We have no idea why. She has not run up on them or yelled or anything. She has been just feeding them. The girls are fine with her, but he will not leave her alone. He will even go over the fence to try and get her. He goes after her with his feet. He keeps trying to jump on her. Even with us standing between them he will still try to get her.

Does he think she is a rooster or another chicken? She is not much taller then him. Why would he do something like this. She has not done anything threatening at all. If he is doing this to a child, should we be worried he will start doing it to us?
He is not used to seeing this tiny thing. Very different that an adult, and chickens prefer keepers they know. It just is. He isn't sure what she is, a threat like a predator or not. Give him a chance to sort it out. Maybe put him away while she is outside ( I put mine in the garage when strangers come over, they do not die from it)

have her give the treats....and if possible hold him super securely and let her pet him and talk to him, then he will realize she is not dangerous and is actually one of the bosses.

ETA: after rereading your post...he thinks she is something to take a way his girls...predator or rooster. He is confused, I hope you give him the chance to understand, ESPECIALLY because he is young and this is not a normal experience for him. I have a feeling all will be well, because you can not pet him. He respects you enough to not let you get that close. I have my 4 year old "try to pet the rooster" everytime she goes out. He sees me all the time, but crows when the kids go out. So that action proves to him what species is in charge. I wouldn't do that if he had already jumped at her with out me standing right there to reinforce.....gently.

Last edited:
He is so pretty! Why do you have to give him away?
you can try playing radio outside. Sounds silly, but my guy crows on sounds, the contant soft background keeps him occupied I guess.

I have "shades" on the coop window, so he only crows at 630. About 20 times, but can't hear it with windows closed. He is even getting better at getting used to neighors taking their trash out and their kids playing outside. Like a smart dog learning who belongs and who does not.

ETA: if you want to keep him that is, if you can't eat him, someone is willing to.

Last edited:
I started out with six cockrels...and eliminated any that shoved excessive aggression towards me, I ended up with 1 nice big tame White Rock rooster and 3 bantam Roos...they seem to get along well...only one little roo tries to give me grief...he doesn't know he's walking a thin line...but the Big roo seems to get between the aggressive one and me when the "Cobra" decides to try to take me on..otherwise things have been pretty calm in the flock...the Roos I eliminated were a Dominic and a Barred Rock...didn't need any 10 pound boosters attacking me.
Did you try modification? It seems to work well, except in crazies... kinda like people.

Last edited:
I caught my six - week - old mottled Cochin cockerel mating a month - old turkey hen a few days ago. And he was doing it right!
ewwww, grosss!
th.gif
LOL

Hello BYC forum,

I'm in need of some help. This past spring the preschool I work at hatched some chicks for the kids to experience. I fell in love with the first one hatched and the one teacher who carried out the hatching believed that the two I brought home were both female, but that was at 3 weeks of age. The first hatched turned out to be a Black Copper Maran rooster.

He is beautiful and knows his name (Cooley) but I can't have a rooster.

I'm looking for a new home for him. If you can help I would be so grateful. The woman that took all the other chicks, said she takes the roosters to a place where they kill the rooster.

I live in Gilbert, AZ
Hey, that's funny..."those who can do, those who can't teach"

Where are you getting friends for your little hen?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom