Rooster Chat

Pics
Awesome thread! Showing some love for roosters
yippiechickie.gif

We have 2 mature roosters in our flock. The boss is Red, a red Cochin Bantam. He's a gentleman and very good at watching out for his girls. The next in line is our SLW, Penguin. Red was already mature and in charge when we added Penguin so he made it known right away that he ran the show and kindly keeps Penguin in line.

Penguin went through a rebellious phase a couple of months ago when he turned a year old and made it his daily goal to "attack" my husbands boots. He didn't attack so much as run up to him and give his boot a little chest bump. I don't know what he had against my husbands boots but he was not a fan. He did the same chest bump thing to my youngest daughter and I had her do what I do to keep him in his place on the totem pole under me and that behavior ceased quickly. He never flogged or used his feet or anything like that, just chest bumps. I'm the boss and the chickens know that but the kids and the husband don't spend as much time with them so they had to do a little work with him (picking him up and holding him, not letting him mount the hens in their presence, etc) and now he's settled down and is perfectly nice. Even Red would go at him sometimes when he would act up with us. Red, on the other hand, has never had an issue with us. He's a gem.

We have 38 chickens of varying ages. The mature roosters share the adult hens pretty fairly and the only one Red really gets angry about Penguin bothering is my Cochin hen. That is Red's girl and he ain't having it! It surprises me some days how well they get along. I can see them plotting to steal some of the young pullets away from the other guy already. Penguin will soon be moving to a new coop with his own SLW ladies and replacing him in the mixed flock will be Gladys, a young Polish/Sultan cross that I'm pretty sure is also part lap dog.

If they didn't free range all day, I don't think they would get along as well as they do but having 20 acres to roam as they choose helps a ton. Many nights when I go lock them up, they are side by side on the roost. I hope Red and Gladys will get along this well. They seem to be pretty cool with each other so far.

Penguin

Red

Red, Penguin, Rocky and George

Quote:
Yeah if you let them run together (and that depends on if they get along) your going to want to have about 7-10 hens per rooster. If you only have like 10 hens for two roosters than you'll find they may fight more and also your hens will get bad wear marks on them from having to much rooster attention.

Well it sounds alot like my situation. I have one rooster who free ranges with my laying flock of about 12 hens. I call them my general flock and have multiple breeds in there. Then I have a breeding pen where I keep my best Marans rootser and hens so that I can breed from them.

If there are no laws against keeping rooster(s) then you are all good to have as many roosters as you want. You'll just have to see if any neighbours complain and if you care about their opinion then perhaps work out another idea. Like, trying other roosters or locking them up at night.
I live in a rural area but have 3 neighbours that live less less 500m away from my chickens and they haven't complained.

Welcome @keiferlou

Wow, sounds like you have a bit of chicken utopia there. Penguin is such a suiting name for a SLW and he looks very handsome.
Looking at your last picture, George doesn't look like a rooster to me. Are you sure he is not perhaps a Georgie?

My Marans rooster, Marcel, would also have to be about 1 year old and has just started attacking my legs when I go down to feed them. He'll only do it when my back is to him though the sneaky guy. Ive started holding him in front of his hens now so he'll understand who the boss is soon.

Welcome @keiferlou

Wow, sounds like you have a bit of chicken utopia there. Penguin is such a suiting name for a SLW and he looks very handsome.
Looking at your last picture, George doesn't look like a rooster to me. Are you sure he is not perhaps a Georgie?

My Marans rooster, Marcel, would also have to be about 1 year old and has just started attacking my legs when I go down to feed them. He'll only do it when my back is to him though the sneaky guy. Ive started holding him in front of his hens now so he'll understand who the boss is soon.
Yes, George is actually Georgie Girl. I just call her George. I called her Curious George when she was young because she was into EVERYTHING and the George part stuck. Penguin had his moments but he has matured into a very nice boy and I have BYC to thank for that. Reading all the advice on how to deal with roosters and all the experiences everyone has had helped tremendously! His future SLW wives just arrived this morning and they're so stinkin' cute! I'm looking forward to their beautiful babies.

Well she sounds wonderful. Shes a JG, right?
How exciting! I'd love to see some pictures of them, with Penguin of course (because this is supposed to be a rooster thread haha).

She's actually black Australorp. Penguin usually doesn't show much interest in the chicks but he's peeked in on the new fluffs a couple of times today. Maybe he knows? I will definitely be sharing pics! I think they'll make a beautiful little flock.

Hi there I have almost always had two or more roosters together at one time at it really does depend on the individual rooster.
My last two roosters got on perfectly fine. They shared one big pen but had their own loyal hens and food bowls. Recently Ive got two different roosters and they do not get on at all so they have their own separate pens.
When I first got these two they would crow all day long to compete with each other and I was worried that I'd have to get rid of one. However, one day they managed to get into the same pen and boy did they have a big fight. Afterwards though there was no more unnecessary crowing as they had been able to assert who the top rooster was. So you may even have to let them have it out when you get them.

You aren't going to really be able to plan ahead with this is what I'm trying to say. You may just try and stick with breeds that are known to generally be less aggressive but there aren't any specific breeds that crow less than others.
Also Ive had no success with keeping roosters quiet, they can crow through anything hahah.
Hmmm, So one is a Polish thats the guy now. The one I "need" will be Ameraucana and maybe a Breda. I think all three of those are generally thought to be more on the mellow end. Anyone with thoughts on those, feel free to share.

I guess it will be a try and see what happens. I'll just need a back up plan. Hopefully not the auction...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom