Rooster Chat

Pics
I hatched half males myself. First flock for me. Dual purpose. I only want one or two roosters in the end. How do you choose what to cull? Do you keep the fastest growing or are there more important criteria?

Last edited:
I have a 2yo Golden laced Wyandotte roo who was supposed to be a pullet; the other 5 I got at the same time all actually were pullets:) I've only had chickens for about five years, so never had a roo before, and decided to keep him unless he was a problem. Now this year I got six more chicks from the same LFS and wouldn't you know it, another roo! This one is a black Australorp named Ozzy. The GLW is called Chucky- at first I was calling him 'Chuckles' for the noise he makes that sounds like he's laughing. Then as he got older and showed a bit of aggression I decided he was more like the 'Child's Play' Chucky, so that's who he is now! Like someone upthread said, he is fixated on shoes... if I am barefoot or wearing flip-flops, he is fine but if I'm wearing shoes he sometimes starts the umbrella-neck routine. He mostly has a healthy respect for me, though. It's interesting seeing the interactions, or really lack thereof: I have never seen any interaction between the two roos at all. It's certainly possible that Chucky put Ozzy in his place quickly enough that I didn't even know, but Ozzy stays well out of his way. I currently have two little flocks, Chucky and the older hens(2-4yo) and Ozzy and the pullets. (Sounds like a band name, lol!)
This is interesting. I think I may have the same sorta thing about to go on. Pretty sure one of my Beautiful Breda's is a Roo. They are maybe 8 10 weeks old. They have a little flock, they all came together, penned together even though there is one about 5 or 6 weeks. They started free ranging last week. All are ignored by the old gals and rooster. I guess a challenge may come at some point but I could see that they have enough space to all just go their own ways, very peacefully. These are more mellow breeds too, Breda and Polish.

Personally if I had to cull multiple males I would watch them for temperment and body form. I would not keep the least dominant males, we had one who turned nasty. He wasn't allowed to breed and was pushed around by the other two. Plus if he won't stand up to another male would he be a good protector for your flock? Watch your lead male, does he make a good leader? He should watch over his flock for dangers, call the others for new foods and keep the fights broke up;to name a few. But it is up to you still. Just remember to prove to them you are the boss and teach them such. I have to teach Lil Guy to learn to respect Mom still. He is at the full of beans stage

Ok everyone. I have a big beautiful Brahma male, he is now 21 weeks. He is not too loud nor too aggressive but he is also ......seemingly worthless. When should I expect him to start being protective of the flock if he is going to be? He still gets chased around by the older girls a lot so he really is spending a lot of time running scared. He has tried to mate with quite a few of them, so much so that his younger flockmates run from him and the older girls are always on the lookout to run him off. He steals food and runs when I put out treats. He gets along alright with everyone, not mean but when I try to free range them he and the Brahma pullet that is the same age spend the entire time looking for a way back into the run. Is there any hope of his becoming a "good" rooster instead of just a "passable" one?

Newmarch2014 I think the info from the Backyard Brahma thread is probably right on about the rooster issue you have. He is still young yet too.I have a year old EE roo who can yet be the boss of my two yr old EE hens.

Newmarch2014 I think the info from the Backyard Brahma thread is probably right on about the rooster issue you have. He is still young yet too.I have a year old EE roo who can yet be the boss of my two yr old EE hens.
agreed. Not so much experience, but in A TON of research ( I read til, my eyes bleed) Don't worry, Gosh is 21 weeks not even 6 months? Give 'im til at least 12 months to be full strength rooster.

Last edited:
Ok everyone. I have a big beautiful Brahma male, he is now 21 weeks. He is not too loud nor too aggressive but he is also ......seemingly worthless. When should I expect him to start being protective of the flock if he is going to be? He still gets chased around by the older girls a lot so he really is spending a lot of time running scared. He has tried to mate with quite a few of them, so much so that his younger flockmates run from him and the older girls are always on the lookout to run him off. He steals food and runs when I put out treats. He gets along alright with everyone, not mean but when I try to free range them he and the Brahma pullet that is the same age spend the entire time looking for a way back into the run. Is there any hope of his becoming a "good" rooster instead of just a "passable" one?
Your Brahma Cockrel is still a baby!! He is hanging with the pulley because he hasn't quite figured out what and who he is yet...he will come around as he matures, he will come into his own in a few months. Brahma are known to be a bit more mellow as Roos go....I have a Huge White Rock rooster, who thought the was the top dog in the flock....King of the Dung heap!!! Till Larry, the black Silkie Roo had a Light come on in this little fuzzy head!!! It amazed me when I witnessed his coming of age..he started by working his way up the rooster ladder....first the bantam welsummer rooster was put in his place....then the EE roo got the "Run Around"..then to my amusement I got to watch as he took on Roger the white rock roo..What a Hoot!!!...the both faced off...giving each other the "Hairy" eyeball...both puffed up to impress the other with their size....Roger is about 3 times the size of Larry...Suddenly they leaped into the air wings flapping, feet lashing!!! Roger leaped so high that Larry went right under him...they landed facing away from each other...momentarily confused...Larry recovered first and put the run on Roger, before he'd figured out what just happened..now the Little Black Silkie is Top Roo!!! So give him time...he will get there...when he does...if they are right about Brhamas you will have a nice mellow roo....but if you are intent on free ranging you flock and figure a roo will protect them from all predators...they may try but you will probably end up losing you roo and some of your girls...that's the cost of Free Range.

Well, actually I have a dog that is a great flock guardian really. I just figured once I found out that I had a rooster (that was hopefully a pullet) that he would hopefully be useful for something besides a food eater. I am just frustrated that he now seems to be doing more damage than let alone being neutral and certainly not a joy. He grabs the hens by their combs when he tries to mount them...my favorite hen has scabs all over her comb. I was just wondering the average age for LB roosters to stop being bumbling teenagers.

Well, actually I have a dog that is a great flock guardian really. I just figured once I found out that I had a rooster (that was hopefully a pullet) that he would hopefully be useful for something besides a food eater. I am just frustrated that he now seems to be doing more damage than let alone being neutral and certainly not a joy. He grabs the hens by their combs when he tries to mount them...my favorite hen has scabs all over her comb. I was just wondering the average age for LB roosters to stop being bumbling teenagers.
If you don't need or want a rooster, and he is doing harm to the girls with his amateur bumbling then get rid of him!!! It's hard to watch them trying to figure out what they're doing....and it sounds like he is hurting the hens.....find him a new home or eat him....

It would probably be useful, to people who can do it....to not raise a lone rooster.

He should be within a flock where there are other roosters. He can then see how things are done, the right way.

Like the teenage elephants...running rampant, acting ridiculous and dangerous to everything in their path, including other elephants (and elephants are pretty sure more intelligent than chickens)

What these needed was a dominant male. To keep their hormones and attitudes in check until they matured into a proper Bull Elephant. Worked like magic. There was no more rampaging, teenage gang nonsense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom