Rooster Chat

If you consider integrating a large fowl rooster into a flock containing adult bantam roosters, yes I have.  It can be done.  At least with certain roosters it can be done. Some may be more resistant than others.

I have never but I did just give away 3 cockerels to a women and she had two roos,unsure of age but they fought but maybe for only 40 seconds.But I have heard o it happening,just takes a ton of quarantine,and time.

I would like to free range him with my other chickens. We have a full grown polish bantam rooster and a jubilee orpington roo who is still younger. Maybe 15 weeks. Think this could work? I don't worry about the jubilee but my polish can be very protective...

A bantam?No worry, he is liable to back down within the first few minutes,but quarantine and a watchful eye is still necessary is also alot easier to introduce older adult roos' to younger roos.

The lady had a bantam roo who got into it with my RIR roo (He is only 6 and half months),and within the first 40 seconds my rIR ran away,older roos' put fear i younger ones.

A bantam?No worry, he is liable to back down within the first few minutes,but quarantine and a watchful eye is still necessary is also alot easier to introduce older adult roos' to younger roos.

The lady had a bantam roo who got into it with my RIR roo (He is only 6 and half months),and within the first 40 seconds my rIR ran away,older roos' put fear i  younger ones.

Oh this makes me happy to hear. I'll wait till the weather is better and keep watch. Hopefully it works out. Thanks again. :)

I would like to free range him with my other chickens. We have a full grown polish bantam rooster and a jubilee orpington roo who is still younger. Maybe 15 weeks. Think this could work? I don't worry about the jubilee but my polish can be very protective...

If you don't have any of the game breeds who just won't give up, after a period of quarantine if they can be penned near and see each other for a while and finally let out top free range together (I would never introduce in a closed in space. They need room to be able to get away from each other it has a chance of working.
After free ranging together, often the new roo will still want to go back into his own smaller coop at night for a while but they should integrate.
Unfortunately I did lose a little bantam roo, not sure to a hawk or fox recently but we have two large fowl roosters and a bantam rooster left who all get along and all sleep in the flock coop together. I also had some nice young cockerels in the 6-8 months old range I was able to place in flock situations.
I often hear the little bantam singing out a flock warninig (which means someone races outside to see what the problem is. We've had migrating hawks recently and he is pretty good at noticing them.)
The roosters often band together if they think there is a problem.

It's 3am and I just brought my crowing rooster in to the house into a dog crate. I can't seem to get a grip on what's making him crow. Blocked out all external light from the coop and he's continued with his right-on-the-money 230am crowing! Got him more girls, which has helped for daytime crowing, although I think he could use a few more (they're showing wear already on their backs). Morning crowing is usually because they ate all their food and/or want out of their run. But this night time crowing is ridiculous. Like whenever there's wind he crows. But I live in a very windy spot so....

Anyone heard of putting a wind chime in as a distraction? Maybe one of those white noise machines for inside the coop? One he's in the dog crate inside the house he sleeps soundly until dawn so something outside is bothering him.

:( ok, time to get me sleep.

I agree, something is bothering him and he is crowing as a warning. "I'm on guard! Beware of me! I'm the biggest bad a** around and you don't want to mess with me!" I've heard my roosters crow, not at 2:30 in the morning but when the dogs go too close to the run or they see or hear something that they perceive as a threat. The big question is what? And at the same time every morning? What ever is happening it's something his little birdy brain is seeing as a danger that he has to respond to.

I have no idea how to handle this boy. I'd make sure nothing is making noise, such as something hitting the coop for instance such as a tree limb. Instead of making everything pitch black do you think adding light to the coop, keeping him awake longer-wear him out so tos speak so he is tired would help?

And as a final thought, is there any possibility that there IS something trying to get into their coop during the night? Maybe a game camera would shed some light on whether or not anything is disturbing him during the night.

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of a nanny cam but a game cam might be better. Whichever is cheaper.

So tonight he's been crowing in the house non stop since I bought him in. Either he really likes crowing or maybe something is up with HIM? There's a mobile vet that does chickens who his up the feed store every Tuesday. I'll have him checked out by that guy as well.

Tonight was also more windy than usual.

So the first night he was blacked out he was terrified all night! So I snuck a small solar nightlight in there and he slept quietly for a few nights. My fierce rooster is scared of the dark! :D

My roosters crow in the middle of the night as well as starting way before daylight. It just might be what he does. Younger or more dominant roosters crow more.

Back
Top Bottom