Rooster not eating or acting right......comb is starting ti change color on the tips.

lagriega

Songster
6 Years
Sep 24, 2014
My Rooster was in tip top shap and all of a sudden he stopped eating and just is not acting like he normally does. I seperated him form the 4 hens and they seem to be fine. He did have a few sneezes over the last few weeks but nothing that I thought was a lot. He does not seem to be in any breathing distress.....but I did see some liquid in his nostrils that is not normally there. Please help I m not quite sure what to do. I am going to start with Vetrx andd see if he acts and feels better!

Rooster now stands for a bit then has to sit/lay down does very little walking....not eating/drinking on own unless I get him started so I have been hand feeding and getting water in him. Vetrx did nothing......what can I do now. Please I wish someone would ggive some info....I am at a loss.

So sorry to hear that you have not had any response so far...

How old is your Rooster ?

When did you last de-worm your flock ?

When did you last treat for any lice/mite infestation possibilities ?

You should check his crop early in the morning to ensure he does not have impacted nor sour crop...

It seems from your description that he may have respiratory issues....if you suspect this you can give him Baytril or Oxytetracycline antibiotics...do keep him isolated from the main flock until you can establish the reason(s) for him being ill...any further information you can provide can help to determine what his problem may be...

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you aren't up for injectible Tylan, you may want to try Denagard which is very effective on MG, air sac problems, or infectious sinusitis. It is dosed 16 ml per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Make up some moist feed to coax him to eat. After treatment, run some poultry vitamin-probiotic soluble powder in water for 3 days. I hope your rooster recovers.

This is Denagard: http://www.qcsupply.com/denagard-liquid-concentrate-novartis.html

Last edited:
Hi Suzie....He is a new Rooster for me....I found him running with another rooster in the middle of no where with no houses for miles.....caught both to keep safe and fell in love! I am guessing he was hatched in the spring....because of size of spurs being smell....He was in great shape. I was getting ready to worm my 5 chickens but only did hens because he was not doi9ng good. I am worming because I saw round worms in their poop. I got samples iof his poop & their poop and brought to the vet today. He has no sign of worms and I never wormed him. the girls might have a bit of something still left....ve has not called back since I last talked to him. He only does worm check for chickens not care. I am on day 3 of worrming with Strike 111. They were all treated for lice/mites Oct. 24th & 28yh because I saw lice (at least that is what I thought it was) on their hard feathers of the wings all along the long hard part. He was treated along with hens and next day I did not see lice. I will check the crop in the morning....I do not smell anything bad on him ! I did get him to eat and drink today by mixing crumbles with water and gave water with a dropper and he did drink. He then also started to peck away at some scratch I gave him to coax him to eat! Early evening I did treat him with Duramycin -10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder.... as per the feed store being my only help and what I found on line.....I hope & pray I have given proper dose......1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water!!!!!!!! They also had something called Tetroxy HCA-280 Soluble Powder (oxytetracycline HCI) Antibotic. Would that have been a better choice and what would the dose be if so. We do not have much to choose from in our town for chicken supply. He is away from the other birds....I have him in the house in a big dog crate with all the comforts of home. He is not walking when I take him out he just stands in one place.....he might take a few steps once in a whild....then he plops down. He does keep one eye closed from time to time his head seems sto be drawn in....no neck showing. Wings a bit drooped. His poop was formed yesterday but today he has diareah....green with some white and clear mucus....and also at another time it was a yellow color. Yesterday he did eat som clover but today I gave him nothing from the yard just the crumbles and some sratch. In the poop it looked like some of the food was not digested at all....pieces of the grain. He has lost some weight so I think he was not eating good before I really noticed. We were away for 2 days and my newphew checked on the chickens. Ok....he just now started making a veery strange sound.....never heard him do this before. A loud noise repeated for a whild while standing....he got up to do this. then sat down and did it some more. I did video the noise . Thank You for your help....I hope you can give me more guidance......I am new to this and I hope I have done right so far and not harmed him with the meds.

Hi Michael Apple....Thank you for your reply.....I have just posted what is going on now. I am not sure what to do. I see the meds that you have suggested and also the meds Suzie has suggested....and if you read my update you will see that I started him on something.....Please let me know what you think. Thank You

Your dosage is too low on Duramycin 10--it should be 1 tablespoonful per gallon for the maximum dosage. Tylan 50 injectable or Denagard would be more powerful, but the Tylan 50 is much easier to obtain locally. There is also Tylan Soluble Powder for the water. Until Michael comes back on, I would wonder a bit if he could be suffering from something like mycoplasma synoviae, which can cause mild respiratory symptoms, along with infection of the joints. It can be characterized by lameness or sitting a lot, sometimes with a blister or sore developing on the breast bone or keel from prolonged lying down. Look at his feet and leg joints for swelling especially up around the hocks or elbows, which can be on one or both legs. There sometimes can be leaking yellow serum at the joints. Other possibilities could be Mareks disease with the drooped wings, the closed eye, and lameness. Is either leg paralyzed or being dragged? Here are some links to read:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...nfection_in_poultry_infectious_synovitis.html

Duramycin 10
(tetracycline HCl soluble powder)
For use in drinking water for prevention and treatment
of diseases susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.

To make 1
gallon:
400mg dose =
1/2 Tbsp (1 oz.)
per gallon of water
800mg dose =
1 Tbsp (2 oz.)
per gallon of water

Last edited:
I will check him now but thought I should try to post the video of the noise he was making....perhaps this will help. I have never heard this sound before....he has not done it since then! He was fine on Oct. 31 and I noticed he was not right on Nov 3. I found him Sept.13th and got the hens from a friend Oct. 15th....they were not well cared for and are all different ages. I should also mention they are all bantams. Does the size make a difference for the dosing of the meds. I can not download from my computer to the forum.....If you want I can emial to you if you think this will help. Just checked him....I see nothing unusual on the legs joints etc.....Look normal to me. Should I raise the dose on the Duramycin - 10 tonight or wait till the morning and should I change to one of the other antiobotics tomorrow if I can find them or continue with what I have. Do I need to treat the hens.....I think I seperated then yesterday? I was going to waait till morning to give him the water again by dropper but perhaps I need to do this tonight and more often being he does not drink on his own.
What do you suggest? How much water with meds should I give him at a time and how often.

The medicines mixed in the water are dosed for any size chicken, since they will only drink enough for their weight. But if he isn't drinking, you will need to carefully give it to him. I would just add medicine to the Duramycin water if he hasn't taken much, especially since you may decide to switch medicines tomorrow. Or you could mix new tonight. Michael may have a suggestion about changing the medicines, but Denagard is almost always only available online, which would take days to a week to get. Tylan injectable is usually at most feed store in the cattle medicines. I prefer to offer the water up to the beak to get them to drink in a small cup, or dip the beak into it while letting them swallow and take a breath. Crop feeding can be done to get liquids and food into him, and it sounds like he needs it. Here is a link on crop feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited:
It seems that the blue color on the tips of his comb have turned back to red! I do offer him the water in a tiny cup like you mentioned or from his waterer and if he drinks fine if not that is when I put the dropper on the side of his beak and he does drink on his own....I do not have to force it....he just drinks. About the Tylan injectabel if I have to go that route I have no idea how to inject or dose.....A bit scared to inject but if it will help him I know I can do it. I will check out the link for the crop feeding.....I did get enough food / water in him so that I could feel it in his crop/crawl! not sure if it is enough but I could feel a nice size pouch. Do you think I will need to treat the hens or just wait and se if they get sick? Perhaps I should get some of Denagard to keep on hand if I ever need it in the future so I will have it and not have to wait for it to come. Thank You so much for your advice....it makes me fell better to have someone to talk to that has the knowledge that I do not have.

Back
Top Bottom