Rooster not eating or acting right......comb is starting ti change color on the tips.

lagriega

Songster
6 Years
Sep 24, 2014
My Rooster was in tip top shap and all of a sudden he stopped eating and just is not acting like he normally does. I seperated him form the 4 hens and they seem to be fine. He did have a few sneezes over the last few weeks but nothing that I thought was a lot. He does not seem to be in any breathing distress.....but I did see some liquid in his nostrils that is not normally there. Please help I m not quite sure what to do. I am going to start with Vetrx andd see if he acts and feels better!

So sorry to hear that you have not had any response so far...

How old is your Rooster ?

When did you last de-worm your flock ?

When did you last treat for any lice/mite infestation possibilities ?

You should check his crop early in the morning to ensure he does not have impacted nor sour crop...

It seems from your description that he may have respiratory issues....if you suspect this you can give him Baytril or Oxytetracycline antibiotics...do keep him isolated from the main flock until you can establish the reason(s) for him being ill...any further information you can provide can help to determine what his problem may be...

Thanks!

Last edited:
I give sc injections on their backs. Here are some pictures I took of me giving sc fluids to a deceased bird and to a live peahen:

Insert needle and watch that it doesn't poke back out or you will get wet, lol. Slowly depress plunger and look for leaks. If no leaks, give fluids.

This was the size of the bubble after 75ml.

Here you can see how it's spread under the skin.

Wet area with rubbing alcohol, this will allow better viewing of the injection site.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Tylan 50 should be given with a 22 gauge needle, injected 1/4 inch into the breast muscle. This is more difficult with bantams. Dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams daily for 3 days, and no more than 5. Dosage for standard birds is 1/2 ml and 1 ml for over 5 pounds. Some give Tylan 50 orally, when not comfortable with shots, but an injection is best.

Hi Michael....Thank you for the reply. There are no molds or excessive dust where the Rooster is or was that I can think or or see......right now he is inside our house in a dog crate......and I clean any poop out of the cage the min I see it. I did have his poop checked at the vets and they said there were no worms. Would the Capillary worms show in the poop if they migrated to the crop or esophagus? I was giving him many earth worms for about a week or two when he was gardening with me....I thought I was doing a good thing till I read that they can cause Capillary worms !!!!! Is this true? Are the dry meal worms that you can give as a treat also a cause for worms? I like to give them to all as a treat once in a while but have not done so since all this has happened.
Should I worm him at this time......and is it safe to wrom and give other meds at the smae time?

Capillary worms are difficult to determine without a screen test. They are smaller in size compared to other worms and burrow into the intestinal mucosa. Hygromycin is effective against them so as long as your birds are eating it, it will work. You see worms in the droppings. Are they short and round, less than 1/8" or are they longer? Do they appear as grains of rice? If they are tapes, the Hygromycin will not be effective upon them. If they are roundworms and are paralyzed in a fresh dropping, then the Hygromycin is doing its job. Dry meal worms are not going to give your birds worms, but are not really an essential. A balanced feed ration should have all the necessary nutrients your bird needs. Mine find "treats" on range, or what a may give them in moist feed, or occasional scratch or oats. You can feed some of the Strike III pellets to the rooster according to label directions and it wouldn't harm your rooster.

He has so totally responded to the Duramycin 10....he was just about dead when this all started. It is just this nasel stuffieness sound that I hear especially when I am feeding him the wet crumbles (that have the medicated water in it) and sometimes after he crows ther is a funny reverb sound. It sounds like congestion is in the nose when he is eating.....His chest sounds good....does not seem to sound congested there.

You said to ask for recommendations and I would like your help......I do feel that the Duramycin10 has worked but I am wondering if I shoul continue with it because of the nasel sound or switch now to another antiobotic only because of the nasel sound....and if so which one. Perhaps the nasel sound I an hearing is what you mentioned.... "it is not until the virus runs its course that symptoms are overcome". He started being sick 10 days ago.

You had mentioned in the past for me to get the Denagard and others mentioned to get Tylan are these in the family of the Tylosin, doxycycline , and amoxicillin ? I am not ready to give any injections at this point....just do not feel confident in myself to do this! Please advise me what is best to do at this point for him and what I should get to have on hand if this happens again. I am not sure how he got this perhaps from the hens.....If I need to give any supplements to him please let me know what I need to give and the dose.

All those treatments are available in soluble powder, tablets/capsules, and injectibles. The only exception to them would be Denagard, which is a bottled liquid for water supplementation. Based upon what you've told me, I do not see resorting to those just yet. CRD or respiratory disease is one of the more stubborn to overcome, and it takes time. I would continue to treat and would like you to tell me how the bird is doing each day. The bird is eating and drinking, and is active. Let the bird out under supervision on clean ground so he can get some exercise if possible. So long as you see improvement, there is no reason to become overly concerned.

As for the worms.....I am asuming the worms I am seeing in the hens now are a result of the wormer that was last given on Nov 6th..... I know that each hen got the medicated pelletts in the correct amount....I put it in their mouths....over a course of 4 days. If continue to see the worms after a week should I worm the hens again? What would you suggest me to use and the dose. I was given the hens recently and they were not well taken care of from where I got them.....I do not think they were ever wormed other than the wormer I gave them. They are all different ages and size.
I welcome the information and help from you.....Let me know the course I should take at this time.
Thank You

You're welcome. 5 days of the Strike III pellets mixed in feed should be good. I wouldn't recommend feeding it continually as some people do since it may eventually promote resistant intestinal worms. Just post what you observe regarding worms in droppings, and the rooster's condition as days go by. We can go from there without you spending money on medications you may not need. For right now, have some poultry vitamin-electrolyte powder, Probios dispersible powder as an addition to the med cabinet. If there is a certain product you think you need, mention it, and I'll see if I can locate it for you.

Last edited:
Rooster now stands for a bit then has to sit/lay down does very little walking....not eating/drinking on own unless I get him started so I have been hand feeding and getting water in him. Vetrx did nothing......what can I do now. Please I wish someone would ggive some info....I am at a loss.

If you aren't up for injectible Tylan, you may want to try Denagard which is very effective on MG, air sac problems, or infectious sinusitis. It is dosed 16 ml per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Make up some moist feed to coax him to eat. After treatment, run some poultry vitamin-probiotic soluble powder in water for 3 days. I hope your rooster recovers.

This is Denagard: http://www.qcsupply.com/denagard-liquid-concentrate-novartis.html

Last edited:
Hi Suzie....He is a new Rooster for me....I found him running with another rooster in the middle of no where with no houses for miles.....caught both to keep safe and fell in love! I am guessing he was hatched in the spring....because of size of spurs being smell....He was in great shape. I was getting ready to worm my 5 chickens but only did hens because he was not doi9ng good. I am worming because I saw round worms in their poop. I got samples iof his poop & their poop and brought to the vet today. He has no sign of worms and I never wormed him. the girls might have a bit of something still left....ve has not called back since I last talked to him. He only does worm check for chickens not care. I am on day 3 of worrming with Strike 111. They were all treated for lice/mites Oct. 24th & 28yh because I saw lice (at least that is what I thought it was) on their hard feathers of the wings all along the long hard part. He was treated along with hens and next day I did not see lice. I will check the crop in the morning....I do not smell anything bad on him ! I did get him to eat and drink today by mixing crumbles with water and gave water with a dropper and he did drink. He then also started to peck away at some scratch I gave him to coax him to eat! Early evening I did treat him with Duramycin -10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder.... as per the feed store being my only help and what I found on line.....I hope & pray I have given proper dose......1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water!!!!!!!! They also had something called Tetroxy HCA-280 Soluble Powder (oxytetracycline HCI) Antibotic. Would that have been a better choice and what would the dose be if so. We do not have much to choose from in our town for chicken supply. He is away from the other birds....I have him in the house in a big dog crate with all the comforts of home. He is not walking when I take him out he just stands in one place.....he might take a few steps once in a whild....then he plops down. He does keep one eye closed from time to time his head seems sto be drawn in....no neck showing. Wings a bit drooped. His poop was formed yesterday but today he has diareah....green with some white and clear mucus....and also at another time it was a yellow color. Yesterday he did eat som clover but today I gave him nothing from the yard just the crumbles and some sratch. In the poop it looked like some of the food was not digested at all....pieces of the grain. He has lost some weight so I think he was not eating good before I really noticed. We were away for 2 days and my newphew checked on the chickens. Ok....he just now started making a veery strange sound.....never heard him do this before. A loud noise repeated for a whild while standing....he got up to do this. then sat down and did it some more. I did video the noise . Thank You for your help....I hope you can give me more guidance......I am new to this and I hope I have done right so far and not harmed him with the meds.

Hi Michael Apple....Thank you for your reply.....I have just posted what is going on now. I am not sure what to do. I see the meds that you have suggested and also the meds Suzie has suggested....and if you read my update you will see that I started him on something.....Please let me know what you think. Thank You

Your dosage is too low on Duramycin 10--it should be 1 tablespoonful per gallon for the maximum dosage. Tylan 50 injectable or Denagard would be more powerful, but the Tylan 50 is much easier to obtain locally. There is also Tylan Soluble Powder for the water. Until Michael comes back on, I would wonder a bit if he could be suffering from something like mycoplasma synoviae, which can cause mild respiratory symptoms, along with infection of the joints. It can be characterized by lameness or sitting a lot, sometimes with a blister or sore developing on the breast bone or keel from prolonged lying down. Look at his feet and leg joints for swelling especially up around the hocks or elbows, which can be on one or both legs. There sometimes can be leaking yellow serum at the joints. Other possibilities could be Mareks disease with the drooped wings, the closed eye, and lameness. Is either leg paralyzed or being dragged? Here are some links to read:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...nfection_in_poultry_infectious_synovitis.html

Duramycin 10
(tetracycline HCl soluble powder)
For use in drinking water for prevention and treatment
of diseases susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.

To make 1
gallon:
400mg dose =
1/2 Tbsp (1 oz.)
per gallon of water
800mg dose =
1 Tbsp (2 oz.)
per gallon of water

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom