Rooster or Hen?

ArianaB

Hatching
Aug 27, 2015
This is our second year with chickens, last years girls (3 leghorns and 3 golden comets) were unfortunately killed by a fisher over the winter so we started over with a couple different breeds this year (2 barred rocks, 2 RIR, 2 golden comets). I have gone back and forth on all of them trying to figure out the genders. I'm convinced one of the Rhode Island Reds is a male, and maybe a couple of the others. One of them just started laying two days ago, so I know there is at least one hen in the mix. 

If anyone can give me some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated! I've posted some pictures below.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I should add that they are all just over 4 months old, and the two pictures are the ones that I am questioning the most.

Last edited:
The first bird is a pullet
The second bird (front and center in second photo) is a pullet
The red bird immediately behind the second bird (walking towards the bird) is a pullet
I'm leaning heavily towards pullet on the barred bird on the far right of the second photo, but would like full shot - as well as a full shot of the others in that photo that are not fully visible

The bird in the top pic is a Rhode Island Red pullet. The bird in the bottom picture is a Red Sex Link pullet. Red Sex Links are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from her. :eek:)

The first bird is a pullet
The second bird (front and center in second photo) is a pullet
The red bird immediately behind the second bird (walking towards the bird) is a pullet
I'm leaning heavily towards pullet on the barred bird on the far right of the second photo, but would like full shot - as well as a full shot of the others in that photo that are not fully visible
I agree with the above, except the bolded part. That red bird is one I'd like a better pic of.

Here are some more pictures @donrae

This one shows the two RIR and how different their combs are. I know they can grow at different rates but it seems a bit extreme. But I'm no expert obviously.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom