Rooster or Hen

Hi! I'm not sure if some of my pullets are actually roosters? Here's the first and second one.

Here's the second one:

Last edited:
Here's the third one that is probably a roo but I wanted to be sure before saying goodbye. I did two pictures this time.

Last edited:
These are all about 10-11 weeks old. I thought I would be able to tell the difference between a cockerel and pullet by this time but I guess I am not very good at telling the difference. Here's my guesses:

Top a Roo, bottom a pullet

Pullet

Roo

Pullet

Roo

Roo
We started off with quite a few more but either a disease or the summer heat killed off over half of what we started with. We're trying to decide if we need to add more hens if most of these turn out to be Roos. Thanks for the help!

Can Simone tells me if we have hens or Roos. The red one is a red ranger and the other Other is a dark bahram. Newbie with chickens and can only have four hens. Would also like to know what everyone thinks is a good chicken layer. We are from Green Bay wi so a hen that can handle the heat and cold of course

Can Simone tells me if we have hens or Roos. The red one is a red ranger and the other Other is a dark bahram. Newbie with chickens and can only have four hens. Would also like to know what everyone thinks is a good chicken layer. We are from Green Bay wi so a hen that can handle the heat and cold of course

Hi and welcome!

The first thing I notice looking at your picture is that your bird does not appear to be a dark brahma. Did you order direct from a hatchery or did you purchase your birds from a retail store or private breeder?
It would be most helpful if you could take/post a photo of each bird individually showing the whole bird (legs/feet included) so that we can get a better idea of breed and gender. Also, knowing the age of the bird is important in assessing certain characteristics that can indicate male/female.

Back
Top Bottom