Rooster turned mean...

We've decided...the sooner the better...why wait and continue to deal with his aggression, so we're going to hopefully get him killed this week. Found someone who is skilled at killing birds. The decision process hasn't been without a few tears but needs to be done. I'm thinking the hen won't mind being hassled either, but hope she won't indeed miss her friend. Thanks for your thoughts on the topic....it did help. : )

We've decided...the sooner the better...why wait and continue to deal with his aggression, so we're going to hopefully get him killed this week. Found someone who is skilled at killing birds. The decision process hasn't been without a few tears but needs to be done. I'm thinking the hen won't mind being hassled either, but hope she won't indeed miss her friend. Thanks for your thoughts on the topic....it did help. : )

Just wanted to say, most of us have been there. Sometimes when a young cockerel starts feeling his oats an attitude adjustment (putting him in a bachelor pad with adult roosters, putting him with adult laying hens) may help, but when it goes too far you have to figure out what you are willing to put up with, or not. There are so many nice tempered roosters that could use a good home that it doesn't pay to keep the mean ones who make your life miserable and could pose a threat to children or even adults.

We've decided...the sooner the better...why wait and continue to deal with his aggression, so we're going to hopefully get him killed this week.  Found someone who is skilled at killing birds.  The decision process hasn't been without a few tears but needs to be done.  I'm thinking the hen won't mind being hassled either, but hope she won't indeed miss her friend.  Thanks for your thoughts on the topic....it did help.  : )

As the previous posted stated, it's a common road that a lot of us have travelled down.

You are making the correct choice, seldom with a Roo does it get better. It sounds like you will be processing him with a knowledgable person, that is awesome.

If you need our support...we're all here, just a mouse click away.

Thanks very much for your posts about my decision. This is a great place to be when you have a question...Backyard Chickens...with so many knowledgeable people. I actually just walked by and looked at a large ceramic rooster in my living room that I've had for years, and I swear, it's like it was looking at me. Must be my guilt talkin'...ha ha. The rooster is really hard to like right now...even my confident, animal-loving husband is finding him very difficult to handle and agrees it is time

. Anyway, thanks again for all your help and kind words. : )

Roosters are territorial and don't want you to go near their girls - He is seeing you as competition which is why he is behaving the way he is. I would not keep a mean rooster. I tried to tame one. It was a nightmare - he was good with the girls - I will give him that. He was awful and I could not trust him ever. I had another bantam that was just a bad - He nailed me good with his spurs sneak attacking me and I had a heck of a puncture wound. I hawk finally got him and I shed zero tears over him.
Flip him upside down and send him off to freezer camp - and find a good Coq au Vin recipe - He probably won't be good eating at a year old they are better at 12 weeks.

I am sorry that he gave you trouble.

Some roosters are better for the pot than for the farm.
Caroline

My last post on this: We took Kiwi to a lovely woman to be killed. She raises show birds and knows how to kill them also, but doesn't eat them. After he is killed and processed she will give him to her neighbour who will cook him up. I felt completely comfortable leaving him with her, knowing I made the right decision for the animal, and that she would kill him efficiently and kindly. He has had a good life, almost one full year. His mate, hen Coconut, seems to be doing just fine without him. It is a complete relief, to me, to be able to go to the chicken coop now and just enjoy my hens. The End. : )

Not sure if anyone will be reading this but have to say that no one appears to miss the rooster here. Coconut was such a mess, physically, from all his 'attention' but she's all cleaned up now, and she appears to be very happy, and has never looked better. I can spend time with her and it's very ZEN in the hen house. It's just Coconut on one side and the two laying hens on the other side of coop/yard, and she is not lonely at all. She gets plenty of attention from me and can see the others all the time. Thanks again for all your thoughts and if anyone is thinking about getting rid of a nasty rooster, just do it. You and your hens won't miss him when he's gone. : )

Thank you for posting that. I have to get rid of a mean rooster but unlike you he was not a pet. I was just giving the roosters a chance to see if any could be kept and out of the three, this one has signed his own ticket out of here. Thank you for reporting how peaceful it is after...as so many others have. Mine is supposed to be gone by tomorrow, maybe today. Never thought I would feel this way but I can't wait.

You're welcome! I had googled that some of them settle down in time but my gosh, it was awful. He came at us full force and I had to invert a light weight laundry basket over the top of him, for a minute, while I put their food in their dish and changed their water. He was making life just miserable for me and I found going to the coop very stressful...not enjoyable. I found the nicest woman who raises show birds and is well practiced in killing them also. So, I felt very comfortable about where he went to be killed. She gave him to her neighbour to cook up...he was large...see photo. So I guess his life went full circle. By the way, I think it is very nice of you to take in roosters to give them a chance...they are lucky to have the opportunity. In the end, it's just not pleasant or safe to keep any nasty animal around. : )

You probably don't have this rooster anymore but I just throw dog toys at mine and he behaves for a few weeks. I like him because he is a great protector of the chickens and honestly, I think it's funny that he thinks he can take me. But, hey that's just my personality.

Back
Top Bottom