Rooster turned mean...

Have one real bad rooster, I walk about with a stump for one leg thanks to a war long time ago and my good leg breaks out when I do too much . My Maran nailed me on my good leg one day and since then he has been getting more agressive. So for now he is in his own pen, mad! But alive and well. I am setting up a new pen for him and his 2 hens with drop doors for bad days. It works if you want it to get creative. My Jerseys are just gentlemen and could knock down a barn door but always behave good around. But have noticed that I watch everyone a little more closely since Jock made his move old Nam training I guess but roosters want to be boss and protect their flock part of the job.

I have a young bantum sizzle who just recently began getting a little aggressive. I am VERY new to keeping birds. He has nipped at my toes several times in the last week which he never had before. Is this him just showing his dominance? He started "dancing" as well, he is normally such a well mannered little guy! My neighbors want me to get rid of him as he has began crowing at all hours of the day.. All this about nasty roosters, he's so sweet!

Mean Rooo, welcome to the club it often happen es at about a year or more they tend to get to big for their britches. This is what I do and it seems to work as they learn who is boss carry a paddle of some sort and when he comes at you let him have it, remember he has a good layer of feathers and you don't swat with that much strength just enough to let him know who the real Boss is. Good luck or Bonn appetite! Neil

This post reminded me of a childhood event. When I was about four years old, we lived across the road from a dear old widow lady (Mrs. Egleston) that maintained a small farm. She sold eggs and other things. It was one of my chores to go get eggs from her. She had a big, intimidating rooster that scared the grits out of me. One day, he came running at me so I picked up a rock and busted him. The rock only made him more angry and he attacked me, flogging and spurring me around my face. I went running home where my dad cleaned off the blood and calmed me down. The next day. Mrs. Egleston came over to check on me and brought me some delicious chicken (rooster) soup :)

I have an Old English Game roo that was used to fight and showed up at my friends house. he was rehomed to my house and has a lovely flock to roam with. He is an outstanding roo and is very personable. I acquired a 6 month old untrained Labrador retriever that has wreaked havoc to my home. The pup chased the roo, pulled out his tail feathers and pulled the back feathers off of my buff Orpington hen. The pup has since been better contained and not allowed to roam free on the property. The roo however became super aggressive and has attacked me, my hubby, my 89 year old mother and a friend. My friend that gave me the roo, cam over an gave him an attitude adjustment. She went in the coop and challenged him. She grabbed him by the tail and hung him upside for a few minutes, and then she just hung on to him for a few minutes, he has been just great since then. I can go in and take out eggs, walk around pick up hens, I have not tried to pick him up.. But you may want to try it before you put him in the pot!

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories about how they have handled their roosters.

I'm actually glad he turned mean now and had to go because Coconut was truly a mess from his attention...not cut or scratched...but skin peeling off, missing feathers, just a **** mess. I put oil (grape seed oil) all over those areas to soothe her skin and help her heal. So, it's honestly just as well as she didn't really need to be hassled by him all the time. She's so **** happy now I can't believe it quite frankly.

I have heard of picking them up and carrying them around with you, and the holding them by their legs so they dangle definately seemed to work for one of you, BUT, this guy was huge...a meat king rooster, so I couldn't carry him around with me, and holding him by his legs would surely have hurt him.

Regarding who they see as 'top dog' in humans. I am indeed, a pushover, and the animals know it...ha ha. My husband is a confident man who just naturally gets respect from animals through kindness and confidence--they love and respect him. But Kiwi didn't care about any of that...he went after him just as bad as he did me.

Kiwi started this behaviour close to a year old. First sign...stood there next to me like usual but was breathing really hard and fast. I didn't know what he was doing. Soon after that....pecking hard with his beak and breaking skin through thick clothing. Then he started just coming at us like a crazy bird with beak and feet.

Anyway, he had a good life, better than the others who are in our freezer. : )

Thank You @SillyBird for describing the 'signs'. I have a wonderful, gorgeous boy who is about 5 mos old, and I'm very fond of him. He lets me pick him up, and he's just a cool bird! I'm so afraid that at a year old, he'll suddenly turn mean, like so many stories I've read :-( So, at least now I'll know some signs to watch for. I think its so cute when he yanks at my pants leg for a treat, but I'm putting a stop to that now- before he thinks he can bite. I guess the cuddling will have to be left to the hens, and the Rooster will be just about business!
smile.png

Hi HelloChickies,

I hope your rooster doesn't turn mean, but remember that if he does, there are many methods to try before you have to 'do them in'. If you read through this thread, lots of folks have different ideas. : ) I see them online all the time for sale...so I think it happens more times than not...that they turn mean. It's just their way. I guess if you can live with it...great...but if they are truly making your life miserable and you are scared of them then that's no good either. Good luck! : )

I personally wouldn't wait until he "gets me good" to give him the boot.... chicken/rooster bites and scratches can get very painfully infected and endanger your health. Do it now. I promise you will NOT regret it.

Funny! I am just reading this thread (on July 24) & at first I didn't see it was from several weeks ago. I commented, "You won't regret it" to one of your earlier posts. I had to get rid of a rooster ("Spank") earlier this summer. He had been like a pet since we got him a year ago, but I hated his crowing and abuse of the girls. I gave Spank to a lovely older couple who have been living on the land their entire lives and don't mind killing or eating older birds. They were glad to have him. I have one more rooster ("Hank") that is bothering my girls too much, so away he will go soon. I found that I didn't regret getting rid of Spank. I'm glad you found relief!

Back
Top Bottom