Rooster turned mean...

Yes, I agree, if they are giving the hens a hard time, or you/your family...just get rid of them in the most humane way you can. My rooster only had one hen in with him...so imagine how glad SHE is that he is gone too. : )

...so imagine how glad SHE is that he is gone too. : )

LOL!
big_smile.png

I'm glad you got rid of him. I gave mine too many chances and he finally got me on both legs. Ended up in the ER for antibiotic and pain shot. By evening I couldn't put any weight on my left leg due to swelling. That was in May 2015 and I now have permanent scars on both legs. The spurs went to the bone. My husband took care of him for me but I still have his spurs in a zip lock bag.

Holy smokes...that's bad...you ended up in the ER an on antibiotics. Yikes. My rooster attacked with his beak mainly but one time he did appear to come at me with his feet first also. Gosh I was scared of him.
And yes...my hen does NOT miss him at all. She's so happy!!!!

My 17-week old roosters are beginning to feel their oats. Eleven black sex links I got in the spring to help with tick control. They are beginning to get a little mean but as soon as the weather starts to cool they are going in the freezer. That is way too many guys for my five pullets. They are already starting to hop on the girls. One seems to be working out to be the top dog. He crows, and everyone else seems to have high regard for his opinion, especially the pullets, lol. When any of my guys come at me they get scooped up and I check there feet and general appearance, then I push them down on the ground until they decide to quit fighting and become docile. If when I let them go and they puff up at me I grab them again (this only happened once). I had chickens years ago but they never bit me, just an occasional peck when collecting eggs. It came as a big surprise when I actually had them bite me or got pecked (drawing blood) but unless they go pyscho on me they will wait until cooler weather for processing.

Last edited:
He got me when my back was turned to him and then when I tried to get out of the coop he came at me again and this time I put out my other leg to kick him and he spurred that leg. He was a GSL about 14 months old. Because their spurs have so much bacteria on them, you need an antibiotic shot to prevent a major infection and because they went down to the bone the pain was almost immediate and the bleeding was instant. The spur that went in below my ankle is where the swelling was the worst.

I have a BO rooster now that's 18 months old and he hasn't tried to get me. He keeps his eye on me but for the most part he gets away from me when I'm in the run/backyard. Our chickens free range all day.

I think chickens are probably like any other animal when they think you're scared of them. Even if you get rid of the meanie you might still project a fearful vibe so be ready to do battle. My daughters was always scared of the chickens when they were young but my boys have created great respect (fear) in them. That said, I think God gives mankind (me) dominion over animals and that means dogs, cats or 'keeper of the flock' over, lol. If the bird is so mean he goes to the bone its time to plan 'chicken and dumplings'.

mmmmm...chicken and dumplings sounds good. : ) yes, animals are pretty smart and get to 'know your number' in the pecking order pretty fast. : )

I agree with the others. I had a rooster who turned mean and actually killed the other rooster, although I had plenty of hens for them to share. We have some neighbors who are on a very limited budget and who know how to butcher for their food. When we have a rooster that needs to go, we give it to them. They are glad to get the food, and saves their pride because they actually do work for it. Then we don't have to do the killing, cause neither I nor my husband want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary. In addition, we usually thrown in 2 doz eggs for taking the bird off our hands. As for your hen, she'll probably be glad to get rid of the rooster. Usually the aggressive ones wants to mount all the time and leave raw spots on the hen's back.

Back
Top Bottom