Ross Cobs as meat birds

I feel quite saddened as I was learning through reading this thread from other small timers like me. I don't want to breed thousands of birds and I don't want to do it in the same way as you big guys. That is my choice.

I could rant about the breeding houses I have seen here in the UK and how the lack of disease is (in my mind) due to the amount of chemicals they wash through the place, the amount of medication in the feed and the obscenely young age at which they cull (ie before real disease has a chance to set in). But I haven't.

I could also rant about animal welfare. But I haven't.

I appreciate there are different ways of doing things which generally have a different purpose.

This thread is about our way. You have had your say and have made it quite obvious what you think of us small timers producing small amounts of meat in our own way, and we have all heard you.

I don't agree with your opinions and that is my choice.

What I do care about is that you are ruining a very interesting thread by trying to put your corporation standards onto a small timers mentality. Its like oil and water, it just isn't going to work.

I do hope this thread can get back on track now.

Janie

I think it is probably time to stop this now. There are those of us who agree with jenny and there are those that don't. Can we agree to differ and stop all the bitter words that seem to be pouring forth. It feels unhealthy and not very constructive and all a bit unnecessary, doesn't it?

Quote:
This post got me curious. Over in the behavior section of this forum, I asked a FRIENDLY question. If anyone commercial, larger farm owner wishes to answer it, I would be thankful.
smile.png
I am not asking on this thread because I feel that it has been derailed enough.

Janie, Jacy, I agree. I really just wanted to discuss raising at home, for home use.

I feel like the whole thing's gone off now, and I doubt we can salvage it. I regret my part in perpetuating any of it.

So Becky, if you haven't gotten disgusted and stopped reading this thread, how are your Ross Cobbs doing? They must be getting pretty big by now.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Dancing Bear,

Chat all you want about the backyard broiler flock, just don't use misinformation.

JIm

maybe you could start a seperate thread on misinformation that you believe that you have found on this thread or forum. This thread seems to have become too bogged down with issues other then the original question.​

Quote:
Dancing Bear,

Chat all you want about the backyard broiler flock, just don't use misinformation.

JIm

maybe you could start a seperate thread on misinformation that you believe that you have found on this thread or forum. This thread seems to have become too bogged down with issues other then the original question.

Too right!

Oh my God!!!! I have just picked this thread up again after being away for a couple of weeks and I can't believe it!!!! I have read through all the posts and as I have said before, support Dancing Bears sentiments wholeheartedly. Thank you DB for putting 'our' views across to those interested in what we were discussing.

Anyway, as I was the original poster of this thread and my interest was and is in how smallholders/back yarders breed, care for and use their chickens, I would ask if we could return to that. If you are not interested or disagre with what we are discussing, then I would politely ask you to find another thread where you can pontificate. Thanks.

Anyway, Dancing Bear, thanks for asking about how my Ross Cobbs are doing. I am having a couple of problems with a couple of them. Two of them have suddenly started tilting their heads 180 degrees. I don't know what has happened to them, but it's like they've had a stroke or something. I have been trying to find out what it is, but no one seems to know. I think it may be a genetic disorder. They are still managing to eat and drink, but they have issues getting around and can't get up their step into their house. I think they may have to be humanely despatched if they get any worse. It's awful to seee them that way. The rest are fine and growing bigger every day. They are just over 6 weeks old now and are living free range in the day time and I lock them up at night. At the moment they are quite active, but I am watching out for signs that they may be getting lazy! I can't believe how big their breasts are already though! It's amazing! I know they are bred to grow like this, but it looks weird! They are very docile and pretty friendly too (although I am trying my best not to get attached to them)!

I have decided to despatch the first one at 16 weeks, then dispatch the rest at one to two week intervals so I can judge for myself when they are best to eat as I think this is down to personal preference.

Dancing Bear - Just want to say thanks again for all your advice and suggestions. I have taken it all on board and will be using your guides when planning my next meat flock. I am sure your guidance has been read and appreciated by others too. You should start your own website giving advice to the small time chicken keepers of the world!
big_smile.png
Would it be OK to keep in touch and PM you in future?

Also, a big hello and thanks to others who have advised me on this thread.
wink.png
I am gonna keep a close eye on this thread now!
tongue.png

Sorry to hear about the birds Becs, we have had ross for many years and I've never seen that before.

Good luck x

Quote:
maybe you could start a seperate thread on misinformation that you believe that you have found on this thread or forum. This thread seems to have become too bogged down with issues other then the original question.

Too right!

Yup ! Love me, praise me, just don't confuse me with the facts.

Back
Top Bottom