Runny Yellow Dung

For those interested, the photo below is labeled as a normal cecal poop on:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

The feedstore I go to had six with poop like this, three of them died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsy report stated they all three died from severe coccidiosis, so clearly this was *not* normal.

-Kathy

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of yellow poop I found on the web:

Sadly the turkey on the right died and the one on the left probably did, too. Cause of death was probably blackhead (histomoniasis) and a secondary E. coli infection.

Another blackhead poop:
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewhtml.php?id=343

Regular (on left) and Blackhead-infected (right) turkey droppings. The tell-tale sulfur colored droppings indicative of a Blackhead infection are clear. Photo by Terrell Spencer, NCAT.

Photo below the sickness is unknown

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hello, one of my chickens has been having runny yellowish dung. I'm freaking out because I've had chickens only a 9 days and I don't want something to happen to my girls!Please if you could offer help it would be amazing.Thanks[/quote
it could also be from change of diet.

Oh my
Abnormal poop
LL
LL
The feedstore I go to had six with poop like this, three of them died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsy report stated they all three died from severe coccidiosis, so clearly this was not normal. -Kathy
Oh my goodness so the last poop in the picture isnt normal? Does anyone know what the cause of that one is?

Quote:
If you mean that one, @Nambroth had a hen with a confirmed case of clostridium perfringens with poop like that. I've also seen poop like that in one of mine that had a yeast infection.

-Kathy

smt1 (and anyone else curious), please note that the above poop is not simply runny and loose, but it contains undigested feed (in the photo there are several pieces of whole wheat, cracked green peas, and some other grains and a bit of chaff). This same hen passed WHOLE, completely undigested black oil sunflower seeds the next day as well. The combo of consistently undigested food (not just once or twice, but in every dropping), consistently loose stool, and a lot of gas (yes!) helped with the diagnosis.

Last edited:
smt1 (and anyone else curious), please note that the above poop is not simply runny and loose, but it contains undigested feed (in the photo there are several pieces of whole wheat, cracked green peas, and some other grains and a bit of chaff). This same hen passed WHOLE, completely undigested black oil sunflower seeds the next day as well. The combo of consistently undigested food (not just once or twice, but in every dropping), consistently loose stool, and a lot of gas (yes!) helped with the diagnosis.
Quite right... Sometimes hot weather or drinking too much will produce a *similar* looking poop and their poop will firm up once it cools down or the water clears their system, but even then, hot and/or hydrated poop looks different, and I don't think I've seen either with the undigested grains.

-Kathy

I dont mean to sound dumb but what is clostridium perfringens? I tried googling it but didnt quite get to the answer i wanted. Is it a yeast infection? Or something else? I noticed an undigested magot in my chickens poop and i think i know whose it is. What kind of treatment does she need?

Back
Top Bottom