Runt baby- what else can I do?

Eyllwe went through similar problems. Sugar water was a life saver - literally! I had her on that and chick starter. Force watered for the first day, and then she perked up. I second mealworms if you have access to them! Especially if you have other chickens to teach her. (I don't agree with they're easy to raise, though. I've been keeping them for two years for my lizard without success raising them. :p)

Personally for me I kept her with my other chicks. They seemed to be able to teach her how to be a chicken. She had no idea that you were supposed to be excited for treats until the other babies were. They also kind of showed her the ins and outs of where to hide and where the heat was.

I also had a little heat cave made out of two blocks of wood, a cookie cooling rack, a heating pad and felt. She spent a LOT of time in there roasting. Heck, she still roasts her booty to this day. The tiny ones like a lot of warmth and seem to need it longer than the adults. You could try something simple like that for her to hide in. Mine had NO interest in stuffed animals, but liked the cave.

As long as she's happy and hopping around it sounds like she will be fine. Eyllwe is still TINY compared to her sister chick - who was hatched the very same day in the same pen. She's also a needy little snot. But I've found her to be the friendliest of the bunch due to all the handling while young.

Lots of hugs for you and your chick! It's always so sweet when someone is willing to take up the challenge and not just give up. They're troopers, those chickens.
Response on previous posts :jumpy

I will tell you what I tell everyone, live mealworms.
Go to petsmart, get a cup of live mealworms.
Put berries, melon, apple just something nice and nutritious in the cup of worms for them to eat.
Let the worms eat for an hour, take a few out for your chick and let her have them.
The reamaining worms, dump out their bedding and replace with chick starter so they'll eat and live off that you'll need to plop a berry or something in every couple days for moisture.
Offer the chick some grit to help process the goodies.
Guaranteed this method will strengthen that chick if it can be done.
Worms should be given twice a day at a rate of five or so.
Your other chicks would also LOVE them, but it gets expensive when you've got alot of little mouths.:)
Response on previous posts:jumpy

As long as your baby is eating, drinking and alert, you're likely on the right track. Keep up the vitamins/electrolytes. And X2 on the egg yolk. After all, it's what she's been surviving on for the first three weeks! From your pictures, your little one doesn't look un-thrifty, so who knows, you may actually have a surprise bantam. Wouldn't be the first time a store mixed 'em up ... and it won't be the last, I'm sure! Bantams are fun, though. There's an awful lot of personality packed into those tiny little birdie-bodies!
Thank you!! Response on previous posts :jumpy

For now,,, give just plain water,,, and egg yolk is something that will not be harmful . Try scrambled egg with egg white also.
I think the electrolyte water made your chick hyper.
If your Leghorn is pecking her.. consider isolating the offender, until chicks grow some.

I read that they get pasty butt from being too hot or too cold. I have have two get it, one strong chick, one weak. I am guessing those two, just didn't move to get warm when they needed to. They don't like to be alone. So they all go out together, but some are content out, and usually one is not.

I read that they get pasty butt from being too hot or too cold. I have have two get it, one strong chick, one weak. I am guessing those two, just didn't move to get warm when they needed to. They don't like to be alone. So they all go out together, but some are content out, and usually one is not.
Almost any kind of stress can result in pasty butt. It's like a child with a belly ache ... the sign to look for and fix a cause. In very young chicks, temps are definitely the first thing to check - and that usually fixes the issue. Also make sure their water is clean and that they are eating/drinking enough. If the problem continues past fixing the temperatures, you can give them a bit of finely chopped oatmeal (not instant with flavors, just plain rolled oats.) Babies will sometimes eat it more readily if you cook it first. They don't need much, just enough to help fight the proverbial "runs."

Back
Top Bottom