Russian Orloff Thread

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Hi, I saw that someone on eBay was selling Russian Orloff fertile eggs. He said they're an extremely rare breed and are good egg layers. Does anyone have experience with these? He says since the parents were imported from another country that they are more like a wild breed. I'm just looking forward to learning about them, as I haven't seen much on BYC about them. If possible, shares some photos of your Orloffs, and tell a little about them. Enjoy!

Photo is from the seller and it is one of his hens.

Last edited:
I have a Russian Orloff (did have more but now just 1). they aren't wild or at least not here anyways. they are a rare breed, hard to find them outside of a few hatcheries. I only know of a few breeders. Mines eggs taste no different than any of my others eggs do.

I have a Russian Orloff (did have more but now just 1). they aren't wild or at least not here anyways. they are a rare breed, hard to find them outside of a few hatcheries. I only know of a few breeders. Mines eggs taste no different than any of my others eggs do.
Thanks for the insight! Anybody else have other experiences? Thanks!

They're definitely rare in the US. Russian Orloffs are one of the most cold hardy breeds. They don't fare well in heat. They're beautiful birds. They were developed for meat and are poor layers.
The only thing that would make one think they were wild is that they avoid human contact. Otherwise they are docile and are good with confinement.
The only impact on egg flavor is diet. Breed has nothing to do with the taste of eggs only the shell color.

Last edited:
There is a Russian Orloff thread on BYC. I used to follow it because I wanted some of that breed. RareFeathersFarm sells hatching eggs on here in spring/summer and MississippiFarmBoy on BYC had them. I don't think they are one of the best layers after the first year, but they are endangered and very beautiful, docile birds. Ideal Poultry sells spangled russian orloffs in spring through July.

Last edited:
I'm getting mental alarms that the seller says the parents were imported--in my understanding importing birds is a very lengthy, expensive process. Orloffs have been in this country quite a while. Just something I'd want to investigate further, especially if the seller is wanting imported bird prices. You can buy these birds from a hatchery as day old chicks, so I wouldn't go shelling out big $$$ from an ebay seller unless you're wanting SOP birds and seller can back that claim.

I'm getting mental alarms that the seller says the parents were imported--in my understanding importing birds is a very lengthy, expensive process. Orloffs have been in this country quite a while. Just something I'd want to investigate further, especially if the seller is wanting imported bird prices. You can buy these birds from a hatchery as day old chicks, so I wouldn't go shelling out big $$$ from an ebay seller unless you're wanting SOP birds and seller can back that claim.
Thank you, however I am not interested in buying any. I just hadn't heard of them before and just wanted to learn a little bit about them. Thank you!

Thank you, however I am not interested in buying any. I just hadn't heard of them before and just wanted to learn a little bit about them. Thank you!
Okay, that just had me a little worried.

Orloffs are on my list of birds to get---you know, when I win that Powerball and have hundreds of acres of chickens and my life is just perfect. Sigh.

Orloffs are on my list of birds to get---you know, when I win that Powerball and have hundreds of acres of chickens and my life is just perfect. Sigh.
For as rare as they are, you can actually find eggs on ebay pretty cheap. I have seen a person selling 6+ (auction) they go for around $20-30. I wouldn't say they are the best quality but still better than HQ

Back
Top Bottom