Russian Orloffs

Hello Everyone!

I have been watching this breed for awhile and I am seriously considering adding this breed. I currently breed and Show tufted, rumpless Araucana. I just wanted to ask those of you who have Russian Orloff's about their temperament and just the breed in general.

Thanks in Advance

Lisa
Fredericktown MO
With my older pullets, I have one who's very friendly. She'll hop onto my lap or shoulder without prompting.
My other is happy to stalk around without company. She's not a lap chicken, but she'll come up to me and I don't have to chase her to pick her up.
Both are very hardy and good foragers.
Good luck with your Araucanas! I'm hoping to pickup 2 Silver Duckwing pullets in March
fl.gif

My Orloff's are only about 5 months old, but they're all very friendly, and none of them seem to care so much about what the weather is, as long as there's something for them to scratch at.
They are all quite watchful of the sky and their surroundings, and I haven't had them since they were eggs, but they are all tolerant with being held/flipped on their backs/cuddled, even the roo's.
I am thoroughly enamored with the breed, and hope that more become so as well!

Also, as far as breeding to standard vs breeding for ability/personality: from what I've seen while I've been in the Russian Orloff Society of US and Canada is that nearly all of the people that are serious about the breed love their chickens. I think type and look might be favored slightly over personality, but aggression toward humans doesn't appear to be tolerated.
Things that are distinctly Orloff, such as beards/muffs and comb type are also highly selected for, but it seems like overall the chickens are quite good-natured and friendly across the board.

(of course, others are more knowledgable than I am, as I've only had them for 3 months, but that's my two cents)

My Orloff's are only about 5 months old, but they're all very friendly, and none of them seem to care so much about what the weather is, as long as there's something for them to scratch at.
They are all quite watchful of the sky and their surroundings, and I haven't had them since they were eggs, but they are all tolerant with being held/flipped on their backs/cuddled, even the roo's.
I am thoroughly enamored with the breed, and hope that more become so as well!

Also, as far as breeding to standard vs breeding for ability/personality: from what I've seen while I've been in the Russian Orloff Society of US and Canada is that nearly all of the people that are serious about the breed love their chickens. I think type and look might be favored slightly over personality, but aggression toward humans doesn't appear to be tolerated.
Things that are distinctly Orloff, such as beards/muffs and comb type are also highly selected for, but it seems like overall the chickens are quite good-natured and friendly across the board.

(of course, others are more knowledgable than I am, as I've only had them for 3 months, but that's my two cents)
Thank you so much for your input. I don't tolerate aggression toward humans with any of my birds. I tend to fall in love with breeds that are a challenge to breed. I have been watching this breed for awhile. Now to just find some good Starter birds. :)

Thank you so much for your input. I don't tolerate aggression toward humans with any of my birds. I tend to fall in love with breeds that are a challenge to breed. I have been watching this breed for awhile. Now to just find some good Starter birds. :)
I'm right there with you. I have young kids so personality is top priority for me.
Good luck.
Have you looked at the society's facebook page?
Very helpful.
smile.png

A lot of breeders on there

I have been reading this thread for some time. And I am thinking about getting some RO's. I have not had any chickens for about 20 years. But I am ready for some. Now I need some help !! I have two ways to go. #1 I live about 4.5 hrs from a hatchery in Fayettville NC. They will have chicks ready in Feb. Anyone bought from them? #2 I can buy some eggs from Rare Feathers. I have a friend that said he would hatch them for me. The real downside of buying eggs is the unknown sex of the chicks I would end up with. What are your thoughts ? Thanks in advance.
If you are into eggs and lots of production you can't beat a hatchery bird. Period. There are some breeders who work their birds for 'utility' but there are others who focus on one thing and not another. It happens in all the breeds. If you want a meat bird the Orloff is not your bird. While they were meant to be a table bird they are far from the Cornish cross we see in the stores and even other heritage breeds. You might consider a Partridge Chantecler. They are the most utilitarian of the breeds I have raised here and the cock is similar in appearance to the RO. Both are winter ready and rare. Both are also easily kept, easy going birds.

Hello Everyone!

I have been watching this breed for awhile and I am seriously considering adding this breed. I currently breed and Show tufted, rumpless Araucana. I just wanted to ask those of you who have Russian Orloff's about their temperament and just the breed in general.
RO are known to be very inquisitive and down right friendly. I find them annoying sometimes when I am in a hurry because 'chicken soccer' is hazardous to my health lol They are thought to be dumb sometimes because of how tolerant they are to things but that's not really the case. We had one that used to run to my son when he got off the bus every day afterschool, aptly named Fido :) We had a real talker here who walked around looking into everything making me laugh.

Thanks for your response and insight. I am really not looking for high egg production or a meat bird. I have just been intrigued by the personality of the RO. And the fact that they are so rare. I also really like the way they look. I have so much to learn !! Thank you for your help. I really think I am set on getting some RO's. I just need to decide on witch way to go from here.

There are quite a few rare breeds out there, some not listed anywhere even... get your 'systems' set up first and then get your birds. That's a mistake a lot of folks make. Learn about your housing and weather situations at your place, what predators you have to worry about and plan to thwart them, then set up food storage and distribution as well as a system for water in all weather conditions and then worry about where to keep your eggs :) Your pockets are not advised. Will you be breeding birds? How will you deal with the 'extras' or at least the extra males?

There are a number of breeders out here who are willing to get eggs going to folks who want to keep this breed. Best place, other than here, is to get yourself contacts with the FB breeders. Some really nice folks. Like always, there's some with better birds than others and better prices or better personalities even. Learn some of the traits of your RO and don't just read hobby mags because while they are good PR generators they aren't always thorough or accurate.

There are quite a few rare breeds out there, some not listed anywhere even... get your 'systems' set up first and then get your birds. That's a mistake a lot of folks make. Learn about your housing and weather situations at your place, what predators you have to worry about and plan to thwart them, then set up food storage and distribution as well as a system for water in all weather conditions and then worry about where to keep your eggs :) Your pockets are not advised. Will you be breeding birds? How will you deal with the 'extras' or at least the extra males?

There are a number of breeders out here who are willing to get eggs going to folks who want to keep this breed. Best place, other than here, is to get yourself contacts with the FB breeders. Some really nice folks. Like always, there's some with better birds than others and better prices or better personalities even. Learn some of the traits of your RO and don't just read hobby mags because while they are good PR generators they aren't always thorough or accurate.
Thanks for the information. I am not going to get anything until spring. And I do have a lot of work to do to get ready. Im just trying to figure out where I am going to get them when I am ready. It gets a bit overwhelming . I know it's probably not what a lot of people on here are going for. But I actually prefer personality over conformation.

I know it's probably not what a lot of people on here are going for. But I actually prefer personality over conformation.
I understand completely. And honestly, the Orloff needs whatever help it can get, so if you decide to breed for personality first, who knows, maybe someone will have a line that looks great but doesn't act so great, and will want one of yours to bring that personality back. I say go for it, just stick to what you want, what you think is best, and it will work out in the end I'm sure.
Any help is still help.
thumbsup.gif
the more Orloffs the better!

Back
Top Bottom