Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Someone just posted this and I thought you all might be interested:
Quote:

Those look like tapeworm segments to me. The segments break off of the large worm attached in the gut. If you didn't see the big tapeworm dead in the feces, then the medication didn't kill it, so reinfection might not be the problem. Valbazen is supposed to be very good, but it does settle out easily, like others suggested.

Kind of different subject should I be feeding more protein to my male peas diet. He has molted his large fathers and it looks like they are starting to grow again. not sure if they are his big beauties or his grey large support feathers? This my first year with my 2yrs old male. Also I wormed him this last spring and was told to do it in the fall but should I have been doing it more often. and also I live in north west Illinois and as far as a house for him I have a large dog house which I planned to put up on a table for him and put a wind break for him and a warmer behind to keep alittle warmth will this be ok? Everyone I have seen housing for live in Texas and have a lot of birds I have one and am good for now. Theirs are very very large 3 sided sheds and it is a lot warmer down there. I have India blue which is more cold hardy.

My 5 year old male already has green quills with webbing of the feather in and he just finished molting a couple weeks ago. Game birds' feathers when they loose them grow back fast.

Kind of different subject should I be feeding more protein to my male peas diet. He has molted his large fathers and it looks like they are starting to grow again. not sure if they are his big beauties or his grey large support feathers? This my first year with my 2yrs old male. Also I wormed him this last spring and was told to do it in the fall but should I have been doing it more often. and also I live in north west Illinois and as far as a house for him I have a large dog house which I planned to put up on a table for him and put a wind break for him and a warmer behind to keep alittle warmth will this be ok? Everyone I have seen housing for live in Texas and have a lot of birds I have one and am good for now. Theirs are very very large 3 sided sheds and it is a lot warmer down there. I have India blue which is more cold hardy.

This is the time of year that the peacocks need lots of protein while they replace their feathers, this is the molting season for both male and female peafowl. The way they are fed now will make a great difference in their feather structure and brilliance as well as getting the hens ready for the next laying season.

Here in Kansas a three sided building is fine for housing Blues as long as the proper size perch is used. They won't use it at night, they like to sleep outside at night, they will use the building during the daytime and mostly during the summer. It is one way that they protect their feathers from getting sun-bleached.

SafeGuard or fenbendazole is known to cause feather problems when used during a molt.   SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer and equine paste, and Panacur equine paste dosage is 1/2 ml orally per bird, and it is to be given directly into the beak and swallowed.  The dose is repeated in 10 days.  It can also be given on a small piece of bread.   It does not mix well with water or food, and is not meant to be used that way.  Valbazen is another good wormer and dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days.  It can be used during a molt.
Can we keep the eggs during worming? Or are they not good?

You have to throw them. When worming the hens tend to be infertile during the worming and I believe one or two weeks after.

I remember that one of the larger breeders on this list reported no ill effects deworming with Safeguard while hens are laying. It may have been AugeredIn, not sure. Just like Eggcessive thinks that feathers will be damaged, most people report that is not the case for them.

Also be aware that a one time dose of Safeguard at one ml per four pounds of bird weight will only kill round worms. To get all types of worms requires five day dosage and followed up again in ten days. Giving 1/2 ml would be adequate for a young chick, but not enough for a full sized hen.

I remember that one of the larger breeders on this list reported no ill effects deworming with Safeguard while hens are laying. It may have been AugeredIn, not sure. Just like Eggcessive thinks that feathers will be damaged, most people report that is not the case for them.

Oh, well then my information is outdated then. I remember there were people saying that most eggs go infertile when the hen is being wormed. Worming and feathers being affected I've yet to see an effect. I worm when my males are growing in their trains and right before breeding season. Non of my peafowl are affected. How does the "frizzle" feather thing happen exactly?

Try to find the references listed in this picture:

Back
Top Bottom