Sagitta Breed - Looking for Info

I just picked up a few of these birds this last week. I got them from Valley Co-op in Gooding, Id. The manager there is a friend, we got pigs from him last year to raise and he was raving about them then. I picked up 15 of the Creep Meat cornish, and then 6 other birds. The manager grabbed them for me. I had no idea what they were. Two are a yellow that looks like they rolled in ashes. Two are white with black blotches here and there, and two were the red sagittas. One with racing stripes and one with red and barred wings. I lost one little red one last night, and picked up three more little red ones with yellow-ish heads. The reds are a little smaller than the smugey yellows and the creepy meats, but their feathers are coming in faster.

I am keeping track of how much it costs to raise up the creepy meats, and my bottle calf on my blog. I'm curious to see what they all end up costing per pound. The cornish were for meat, and the others are for egg laying to replace jersey giants that are getting up there in age.

I also have a year old silver laced wyandotte roo the neighbors gave me. I keep hoping one of the jerseys will go broody soon. Two did last year. I's love to get a few chicks from a jersey/silver laced cross.

Cute sounds like you have quite the group :) We also have 2 sagitta's they are so sweet and got their feathers really fast!

PLG Sagitta's will not breed true, they are a hybrid variety developed by Centurion Poultry. They are created by crossing specific strains of (New Hampshire X Rhode Island Red) rooster with a White Cornish hen. For more information, see their site: http://www.centurionpoultry.com/management-guides/1

As they are a feather-sexable sex-link, if you purchased pullet chicks, you almost certainly really got pullets.

They are pretty good layers, far superior to my wyandottes; but they can't hold a candle to Centurion Poultry's Bovans Brown. I would imagine the similar strains of golden sexlink (e.g. Dekalb brown, et al) perform pretty similarly.

I have 10 Sagitta purchased 4/17/2011 here are a couple of picks at about 4 weeks of age
91499_crystals_camera_8gig_339.jpg

91499_crystals_camera_8gig_336.jpg
are these pullets or roosters? They have quit a comb at 4 weeks old
1f633.png

I have 2 Sagittas I love their color will keep ya posted on the laying "New peeps 5 red star, 2 Sagitta, 2 Black Sexlink 1 White Plymouth Rock had Buffs last flock they didn't lay as well as the red star I had before, Jersey Giants too not so much egg laying eather. It has been real cold not sure why this flock hasn't very good egg layers???Oh well This new flock will be a while before I see any eggs, I am looking forward to watching them outside

Anyone got info on these girls,egg color, pictures of eggs, ? Age they laid ? Ours are ten weeks old and are the size of the big girls! ( ee's rir, etc. These birds get big fast!

Anyone got info on these girls,egg color, pictures of eggs, ? Age they laid ? Ours are ten weeks old and are the size of the big girls! ( ee's rir, etc. These birds get big fast!
any idea when they start laying? There 12 weeks old and im assuming like any production bird they lay early ?

i wonder if they are like the Tetra Tints from TSC? i was told they are a chicken that was bred specifically for TSC to sell. pretty o.k. - no problem with them when i had them.

Back
Top Bottom