Scissor beak....fix?

That's good that she can eat/drink on her own. Do the best you can and see how it goes
smile.png

Is this a form of scissor beak, just really minor? She's eating and drinking fine, same size as her flockmates. Just don't know what the future brings. I'll be letting the hatchery know, as I know it's genetic and often seen in Ameracauna and Easter Eggers.

Attachments

• IMG_3681.JPG
    IMG_3681.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 54
I have one pullet (2 3/4 mos) that all of a sudden has her beak crossed seemed fine until yesterday, she's one of my bigger ones that should be laying in about a month or so. she eats fine but i noticed she was having a little trouble drinking so hang 2 gerbil bottles of water besides their regular waterer. Can an injury cause this?

Note, no rooster as i'm in town so she won't be reproducing if it's genetic issue, she is the bigest of all of em and gotten at same time as the other 7. Happy disposition other than beak

We have a beautiful two and half month old roo with this. (We didn't notice his til he was three weeks old). He is the best of the three roos we have to his girls and makin sure they see the treats (like they need help lol) and watchin out for them. He is the same size of the other roo of the same breed we got (not intentionally we only ordered one... got three two of one kind and one of another). His beak is quite noticably crossed. We trim it with nail trimmers if needed and file All at bedtime cause a sleepy chook is much easier to do things to than a wide awake middle of the day thing. He eats just fine in the hangin feeder (i had at one time cut out half of the dividers thinkin it may be easier for him to eat that way but he ignored that side of the feeder) we have and uses the nipple water drinkers fine as well. He gets bits and pieces of treats just like all the rest and does fine there also. Grapes are his fav and corn on the cob is a close second. So as long as he is doin good he will stay.

I think it depends on the bird thriving and whether or not you want to deal with the little bit of extra time involved with keepin the beak filed down or not as to what you do with the bird.

Hey Lisa, I know this is a old post but wanted to let you (or anyone reading that we love our special friends. My daughter (middle school) has found that when kids of all walks see and pet one of these babies it does something beautiful. If you ever find yourself in the same situation we would love to help! We are located around the Springfield MO area, on our friendly pet farm.
Im sitting here, sad as I can be about this scissor beak baby. 4 weeks old. Much smaller than the others of her breed. Heart of gold, but the other birds keep pecking her tongue. I dont know of ant handicapped bird sanc's in Missouri, but I also dont have the heart to put her down. Dont even know how to put down a bird. I didnt even notice the condition until about 2 wks old. Now that Ive had the time to educate myself I could have made a different choice with that knowledge.This gals beak isnt slight, in my opinion. And from what I gather, at this young age, it will continue to worsen. So, if anyone knows people, or affiliation that cares for challanged birds. Plz let me know. Everyone have a great weekend. Lisa
)

Ill start off by saying I cant cull anything unless I find it to be in serious pain. I had to do it once, I overdosed a hen on human pain killersIm a wimp. Thats just me; I give kudos to those that can thoughas I wish I had your courage. I have a 5 week old silkie Roo (hes a sweetie!) who is developing scissor beak. Ive been giving him light oil massages several times a day holding him with one hand so that his beak is closed. Surprisingly it will actually stay corrected for several minutes after manipulation (not stuck or anything). Having what my oral surgeon called (the loosest mandible hes ever seen before) Im not convinced its a cranial problem but more of a muscle pulling mandible one. So Im driving 40 miles tomorrow to pick up some Penetran to massage him with. Maybe it will help. Right now I have an old plastic measuring cup hooked up to his brooder so that he can scoop out his food. Other than that hes a really happy, healthily little boy. I plan on giving him a chance....if it's bad I'll take him to the vet.

KAT

I gotta know how you managed to give your chicken painkillers.

Ill start off by saying I cant cull anything unless I find it to be in serious pain. I had to do it once, I overdosed a hen on human pain killersIm a wimp. Thats just me; I give kudos to those that can thoughas I wish I had your courage. I have a 5 week old silkie Roo (hes a sweetie!) who is developing scissor beak. Ive been giving him light oil massages several times a day holding him with one hand so that his beak is closed. Surprisingly it will actually stay corrected for several minutes after manipulation (not stuck or anything). Having what my oral surgeon called (the loosest mandible hes ever seen before) Im not convinced its a cranial problem but more of a muscle pulling mandible one. So Im driving 40 miles tomorrow to pick up some Penetran to massage him with. Maybe it will help. Right now I have an old plastic measuring cup hooked up to his brooder so that he can scoop out his food. Other than that hes a really happy, healthily little boy. I plan on giving him a chance....if it's bad I'll take him to the vet.

KAT
Kat,
I would love to find out any results you obtained long term from the massage technique? I have two scissor beak chicks I took in and am looking for options. Thanks in advance!

Karl

Back
Top Bottom