Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I put the kids in a bigger cage.. yes I still have news paper in there but I put paper towel over it.. That's how I set my chicks up and they do just fine :) Made the goslings a food island out of a rubbermaid container lid.. This is working out really good. Sure keeps the floor of the cage alot dryer :)

Last edited:
Renie, because of their flat feet they slip more than chickens. Waterfowl can quickly slip and then you will be dealing with spraddle leg. Newspaper, paper towels and brown paper grocery bags are all a slippery surface for them.

Love love love the one with the spot on its head, how cute.

I loved using my sons' old Tshirts (cut so they're flat, open rags...I make Tshirt quilts for them from the fronts when they graduate from H.S.-3 down 2 to go) so my chicks and goslings got to use a bunch of them in the brooder box, now my Mandy babies are using some others...no slipping, + recycling is getting done too...and if I really need those again, they're washable and can be used to wipe up dog slobber, cat puke, you name it...lol
tongue.png

Can some one tell me if I got a good deal? I just bought a trio of sebbies, two curly breasted whites (a goose and a gander) and a curly breasted gray goose, I picked them up at the Camby poultry swap meet for $200 plus $25 for delivering, does that sound like a good deal? I will try to post pictures soon.

Renie, because of their flat feet they slip more than chickens. Waterfowl can quickly slip and then you will be dealing with spraddle leg. Newspaper, paper towels and brown paper grocery bags are all a slippery surface for them.
Love love love the one with the spot on its head, how cute.
well shoot.. lol ok I will dig up that roll of nonskid shelve liner after I get back from turkey hunting tomorrow. I am hoping the spotted one is a female :=)

Thank you for your help :)

Kim,
Cotton has been accepted into the group. It took several days but now they are acting like a flock. They are eating, grazing and bathing together as if they were hatch mates.
We did have one gander after all. The one that survived the dog attack with the broken foot has made his presence known. Cotton ignored him and the girls are obviously torn between the boys. They tend to stand on opposite sides of the girls and have honking contests. I thought maybe I had been wrong on sex when they were little but I guess I was better at sexing then I initially thought.
I don't know if the broken footed gander will be able to breed next year or not. The foot has healed but it is deformed enough that he may not be able to mount. Only time will tell. I have been told by several individuals to put him down but he survived a dog attack, was missing for 2 days, had lots of cuts and scraps (I sewed them up), and a severe compound fracture of his outer toe (at this rate I am going to need some survival first aid training). He survived all the trauma and drama, so he gets a retirement home even if he can't breed. I guess he can hang out with the African goose when she gets bigger. We both know I am too much of a softie to find her another home. Ironically, he was named Lucky as a baby because my husband had to keep getting him out of trouble stating- he would be lucky to live. For example we went through several weeks in which we had torrential downpours, everyone would be soaking wet and he would be the one we had to rescue. He was a late hatch and still didn't have all his feathers. He was the first goose I ever had to blow dry. Odd how things work out as he was lucky to have survived the dogs.
Sandra came over again yesterday to play with the babies. She said she is ready to have some poultry so now she needs to convince her husband. She was totally enchanted with the ducklings. She named them Moe, Larry, and Curly on the way home. She had never gotten to play with baby ducks before and I believe your little ones won her over to the dark side of poultry ownership.
I can't thank you enough for the opportunity to get Cotton. I can't wait to see what he fathers next year.
Lori

Ok here they are, the lady pulled them off thier nest so they do look a little rough and they where in a crate all day so they are a little dirty, sorry for the blurry pictures, please be honest and tell me if you think they are decent.

Ok here they are, the lady pulled them off thier nest so they do look a little rough and they where in a crate all day so they are a little dirty, sorry for the blurry pictures, please be honest and tell me if you think they are decent.

They look better than most of mine do right now! I hope they are hatching the eggs they took them off. I love the grey.

Back
Top Bottom