Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on surprise early babies! I am sure we will see some pics soon right?
wink.png

Kim,
Cotton has been accepted into the group. It took several days but now they are acting like a flock. They are eating, grazing and bathing together as if they were hatch mates.
We did have one gander after all. The one that survived the dog attack with the broken foot has made his presence known. Cotton ignored him and the girls are obviously torn between the boys. They tend to stand on opposite sides of the girls and have honking contests. I thought maybe I had been wrong on sex when they were little but I guess I was better at sexing then I initially thought.
I don't know if the broken footed gander will be able to breed next year or not. The foot has healed but it is deformed enough that he may not be able to mount. Only time will tell. I have been told by several individuals to put him down but he survived a dog attack, was missing for 2 days, had lots of cuts and scraps (I sewed them up), and a severe compound fracture of his outer toe (at this rate I am going to need some survival first aid training). He survived all the trauma and drama, so he gets a retirement home even if he can't breed. I guess he can hang out with the African goose when she gets bigger. We both know I am too much of a softie to find her another home. Ironically, he was named Lucky as a baby because my husband had to keep getting him out of trouble stating- he would be lucky to live. For example we went through several weeks in which we had torrential downpours, everyone would be soaking wet and he would be the one we had to rescue. He was a late hatch and still didn't have all his feathers. He was the first goose I ever had to blow dry. Odd how things work out as he was lucky to have survived the dogs.
Sandra came over again yesterday to play with the babies. She said she is ready to have some poultry so now she needs to convince her husband. She was totally enchanted with the ducklings. She named them Moe, Larry, and Curly on the way home. She had never gotten to play with baby ducks before and I believe your little ones won her over to the dark side of poultry ownership.
I can't thank you enough for the opportunity to get Cotton. I can't wait to see what he fathers next year.
Lori

Hey Lori -- I'm so excited Cotton is living the good life in Tennessee. I would say I can hook Sandra up with waterfowl--more hatching today but I think HappyMtn (amy) is getting them. Larry, Curly and Moe sum up those tiny ducks. Mine are crazy funny, bouncing around jumping at bugs and clover flower heads. Thank God the baby geese come when called or I'd never lay hands on them on those ducklings again--quick little buggers.

I don't blame you a bit keeping Lucky. YOu met Violet's little girlfriend. I love that gander. It would be nice for him to have a lav. american goosey girl, but he doesn't seem to mind the cute little friend so I just don't hatch their eggs. No big deal.

I need to take pictures, but have been knee deep in geese and duckling preschool transitioning them to the great outdoors.I can't wait to see a pic of Cotton after he moults. In his young days, HWF called him Elite Show Quality. I like his typey look and beautiful eyes. Take care and keep in touch!

Kim

I have 3 two year old ganders for sale, make an offer, for anyone willing to travel to Maryland to pick up. They are all white smooth breasted, come from buff saddle back stock and have produced curly breasted babies they are in my profile pic. I just have to many boys!!!

Marty and Raina- did you get any "Ollie" eggs to hatch? If so- what did the babies look like?

Ollie has a gosling running around this morning and its really dark- dark bill and solid dark back. I can't see how it could have possibly been a toulouse egg because they were seperated and she was laying in her own little nest. It was such chaos here though- maybe I did it.....
Any thoughs on what a Lav over splash would be? Is there more than one possibility?

Mom in back, dad in front:

Amy, aren't you full of surprise goslings! Mom is the white (is she the splash? If so what is her color?) dad being Lav, what's his background? Grey is a very common color behind the pastel colors like Lav and lilac.

I know! I was shocked- I was just hoping for some toulouse to hatch in the house so I could give her a baby or two.
She must not have started setting until AFTER we got home from the hospital because we left on Arpil 1st and she didn't have this baby yesterday.

I am not sure aboout mom's background- she's from Jean. All white with a tiny blue dot. The lav... I dunno- he's from Dorothy (Thomas?) in TN and she had lots of colors.
I would love a grey! Just happy to have something hatch for Ollie AND I have some babies coming from Kim this week. That's the last of my seb eggs though, so no more surprises. Only 7 babies total, so I will be keeping them all probably.

That lavender is beautiful! I would really like to find my female lav a lavender male, do you know anyone who might have lavenders for sale?

a side question, what is the recomended goose to gander ratio for breeding?
Marty and Raina- did you get any "Ollie" eggs to hatch? If so- what did the babies look like?

Ollie has a gosling running around this morning and its really dark- dark bill and solid dark back. I can't see how it could have possibly been a toulouse egg because they were seperated and she was laying in her own little nest. It was such chaos here though- maybe I did it.....
Any thoughs on what a Lav over splash would be? Is there more than one possibility?

Mom in back, dad in front:

Amy we have a number of greys, a few are from McGray the buff carrier too. If you need/want others let me know. That's the Jean girl? Oh you are in for a treat! We have three of hers as well. We are getting splash, grey, white and possiblly a recent saddleback (light colored) out of them. Our Sassy has the blue dot, and other single colored feathers. She is producing the most amazing babies. Will be pairing her to a colored gander next year.

Poultry, I thought you had a flock of Lavs? You may find one as a juvenile this fall for sale. Will need to keep your eyes peeled though.

Sweet! Thanks Shellie. I hope she's curly like mom. Looks like the other 2 eggs are duds.
I will probably need a couple more
wink.png
Would really like to have 10 growing out of various colors. Maybe we'll get .lucky and have a buff out of the others......

As for lavenders- I got the lav and a buff saddleback (totally smoothe) indirectly on a swap from a lady (Dorothy) in TN. Thsi is not her website- just an ad:
http://www.goosefarm.info/ads/sebas...ggs-for-sale-90106083442.cfm?lts=120508073411

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom