Seed Starting

Pics

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
Was looking for a dedicated seed starting thread and couldn’t seem to find one. The “what did you do in the garden today” thread is great but I haven’t done seed starts in probably 7 years and would love to focus on seed starting ( I already feel like I’m struggling week 1 😬 )

So please share what you’re starting, your tips, thoughts & of course photos.

Here is one. The biggest problem is catching it...

uRCyN.jpg

Was looking for a dedicated seed starting thread and couldn’t seem to find one. The “what did you do in the garden today” thread is great but I haven’t done seed starts in probably 7 years and would love to focus on seed starting ( I already feel like I’m struggling week 1 😬 )

So please share what you’re starting, your tips, thoughts & of course photos.
I have started cucumbers, cherry and regular tomatoes, beans, onions, wildflowers, poppies, peanuts, potatoes, zucchini, and peppers. I use the small 9 cell planters that have a tray underneath for water and a tray over the top to hold moisture. I also use heating mats.

I’m located it UT and started my peppers last Saturday (3/11)

I found these cool silicone seed trays, sili-seedlings. 5 fit perfectly in a 1020 flat.

I’m also using a heat mat & covering with domes.

DB0677C0-1FA9-4004-AF75-FEB8A176BEAF.jpeg

EFF03280-0398-43A5-8997-522380D01B5E.jpeg

Peppers this year we are doing big guy jalapeños, habaneros, carnival bells & Hungarian wax (which we’ve never done before)

This is obvious, but plant what your family likes to eat! No point in planting kohlrabi if they try it once and say yuck. Believe me, I've heard of people planting "a lot of radishes, because they're easy to grow," (for example) and then find out nobody wants to eat them.
Very true, very true. No vegetables then. 😂

This is obvious, but plant what your family likes to eat! No point in planting kohlrabi if they try it once and say yuck. Believe me, I've heard of people planting "a lot of radishes, because they're easy to grow," (for example) and then find out nobody wants to eat them.
This is the joke every year about my turnip harvest.

Hubby: WHY do you grow so many turnips?
Me: But they grow so well...

To be fair, I do like turnip greens quite a lot. And I've accumulated a decent number of turnip recipes. But hubby remains unconvinced that turnips should actually be eaten and the fact that I fill up a few square feet with turnips is less than thrilling to him. :D

I started roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers. I love peppers but haven't had much luck with them, don't know why. I started the same things last year but they didn't harden off good and died. So this year I hope to do better. They are even taller now, this was taken a few days ago
IMG_20230319_201151093.jpg

Back
Top Bottom