Seedlings.... anyone start yet?

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
We just ordered are seeds from Jordan's and have already got the lights fired up to start are lettuce plants... Anyone else start up yet? What are you growing this year? So far we have this ordered,

Basil
Beans
Beets
Broccoli
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Swiss Chard
Cucumber
Eggplant
Lettuce
Onions
Parsley
Peas
Peppers
Radish
Rutabaga
Spinach
Squash
Tomatoes
Watermelon
Cutflower mix

I wish we were but we just got about a foot of snow this past weekend and the ground won't be thawed out until late May. We just bought this place in August and have not got garden beds going yet. There is a small raised bed out back but no where near the size I am looking to put in. There is a stable just up the road that has offered to give me some composted pony poop. So....I have my work cut out for me. I'll probably have to buy starts for about half of what I want to put in.

Last edited:
That's what I had to do last year. I just moved to my new house a year ago and there was nothing tilled. I worked hard all summer so we can plant are own this year.

I know how you feel on the snow too... we just had a foot + dumped a few days ago.... and there is another storm on it's way to dump another 1-2 feet. Unusual for this time of year but hey, spring is close.

haven't started them yet, but i just bought all kinds of seeds @ Walmart for 20 cents a pack. I would have waited to buy them, but figured @ that price, they won't be around for long. So, i'm starting to collect all of the TP and paper towel holders. I use these to put my dirt in.

From what i can remember.

pumpkins
gourds
beans
cukes
acorn squash
lettuce
toms
cosmos soft&brights

i can't remember the rest, but there was 13 of'em.

melinda

I'm probably going to start seedlings later next month. I don't want things getting leggy before its warm enough to put them in the ground. We planted too early last year, about mid-May (true, it was a crappy season) but I think I'll wait til June this year. it was terrible watching the tomatoes and peppers I bought just sit for a month in cold soil. We also had to till a brand new garden, and the soil is pretty wimpy. But the neighbor has horses
wink.png

Some seeds I saved from last year- peas, lettuce, beans, flowers. Still whittling down the order list. That's tough
lol.png
I need heirloom tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, chard, carrots, pole beans, corn, kale, zukes and cukes.

We're starting the summer garden seeds this weekend (according to the Almanac, the 15th is a good seed starting day). Tomatoes: Sweet Chelsea, Tomande, Creole and Cherokee Chocolate, Bell peppers, Eggplants, Salsa peppers. Will plant purple pod pole beans & cucumbers directly into the ground later on.

I just started
8 Cherry Tomatoes...Grandsons favorite!
6 Jalapeno Peppers for salsa
36 Roma Tomatoes
36 Green Peppers
I have lots of extra Okra seeds if any one wants some PM me mail sase and I will send them to you!
I got a green house for Christmas $40 at Lowe's I love it! And my new brooder DH made me for Christmas!

Last edited:
Most of these are pepper varieties although I have a few tomatos in there.

I plan on starting a few hundred tomato seeds on Feb 19th so that I can plant out on Good Friday (April 2nd) and I will offer 150 of those seedlings for sale

6073_true_leaf_growth_on_feb_6th_201-_005.jpg

6073_mjdtexan_2010_pepper-tomato_grow_log_011.jpg

6073_mjdtexan_2010_pepper-tomato_grow_log.jpg

6073_true_leaf_growth_on_feb_6th_201-_007.jpg

6073_mjdtexan_2010_pepper-tomato_grow_log_005.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to try the winter sowing method this year. I've got rows and rows of milk jugs filled halfway with my worm compost and various seeds planted in them. Tomatoes, peppers, chard, lettuce, and lots of flowers. We'll see what works and what doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom