Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

Congrats on your chicks @silkienrescues ! I hope you are feeling better too!

I hope any incubating eggs are doing well! Turns out only one of my duck eggs was fertile! I am tempted to take that one egg out of the incubator because one duck is no fun. Most of the eggs were from my girls that live in the chicken coop so I have been letting them out more to make sure some fertilizing happens!

I have had a crazy week or so with my wry neck babies and all the other stuff I had going on. One looks totally better and the other looks pretty darn good now. It was strange, I had put them together in a different brooder and the showgirl looked terrible after a couple days and one night it was was peeping so loudly I didn't think I could take it, so I thought I would put it back in it's original brooder and hope that would help. It immediately went from having its head between its legs 95% of the time to running around and eating like a normal chick. I was shocked. It took another couple of days but now its neck looks totally normal.

After that, the porcelain chick started to go downhill but didn't seem better when I put her back in her brooder but then yesterday I decided to leave her in there and she is looking really good today. I am happy because I think she is a pullet and I really wanted her to pull through. Whenever I have a chick that doesn't make it, I tell myself it was a rooster and that makes me feel better, but it doesn't work if I really think it's a pullet.

So I guess after some treatment, they just needed the companionship of their friends to get better : )
I used the poly vi sol vitamins without iron that I had to go to 4 places to find and turmeric tea which is apparently great for people and chickens!

hello
I've been knocked out with a bad cold for days. In the height of fevers and chills the eggs decided to hatch! 6 out of 7 made it. The one that didn't was strange, it candled showing lots of fluid down 1 side of the chick, but its weigth loss was only a bit behind. It didn't pip, and hardly moved when candled. after it died I found a small chick with a closed navel, feathers all full formed but skinny, no yolk left out but also no rounded belly. I think this one either didn't get a normal amount of yolk to begin with or metabolised it too quickly.

Thats the end of my hatching for a few years until nature reduces the mouths to feed!
Good luck to everyone and I hope you enjoy hatching and the great support this forum offers.

in particular I am so grateful for the support given by the people on this (and the previous silkie thread) through all the ups and downs. Just wanted to acknowledge that and say good bye.

Lea

I hope you feel better.

Thanks for all the help you gave us!
smile.png

I've had quite a busy week too! Back to school week and two nights of "parent night" at the school. Plus the kids got sick the first week back, of course!! So here's what's happening in my bators...
1 live egg due to hatch Wednesday
2 live eggs due to hatch Friday
10/12 new "paint" eggs are developing on day 6! So hopefully I will get at least 2 chicks next week :fl, who knows and then I'm hoping for at least 50% on October 3rd!! :fl

hello
I've been knocked out with a bad cold for days. In the height of fevers and chills the eggs decided to hatch! 6 out of 7 made it. The one that didn't was strange, it candled showing lots of fluid down 1 side of the chick, but its weigth loss was only a bit behind. It didn't pip, and hardly moved when candled. after it died I found a small chick with a closed navel, feathers all full formed but skinny, no yolk left out but also no rounded belly. I think this one either didn't get a normal amount of yolk to begin with or metabolised it too quickly.

Thats the end of my hatching for a few years until nature reduces the mouths to feed!
Good luck to everyone and I hope you enjoy hatching and the great support this forum offers.

in particular I am so grateful for the support given by the people on this (and the previous silkie thread) through all the ups and downs. Just wanted to acknowledge that and say good bye.

Lea

Lea, sorry you were sick! And congrats on the great hatch!!! That's awesome! I hope you will stop in from time to time and check on us!! Good luck with all your chicks.

Congrats on your chicks @silkienrescues
!   I hope you are feeling better too!

I hope any incubating eggs are doing well!   Turns out only one of my duck eggs was fertile!  I am tempted to take that one egg out of the incubator because one duck is no fun.  Most of the eggs were from my girls that live in the chicken coop so I have been letting them out more to make sure some fertilizing happens!

I have had a crazy week or so with my wry neck babies and all the other stuff I had going on.   One looks totally better and the other looks pretty darn good now.  It was strange, I had put them together in a different brooder and the showgirl looked terrible after a couple days and one night it was was peeping so loudly I didn't think I could take it, so I thought I would put it back in it's original brooder and hope that would help.  It immediately went from having its head between its legs 95% of the time to running around and eating like a normal chick.  I was shocked.   It took another couple of days but now its neck looks totally normal. 

After that, the porcelain chick started to go downhill but didn't seem better when I put her back in her brooder but then yesterday I decided to leave her in there and she is looking really good today.  I am happy because I think she is a pullet and I really wanted her to pull through.  Whenever I have a chick that doesn't make it, I tell myself it was a rooster and that makes me feel better, but it doesn't work if I really think it's a pullet.

So I guess after some treatment, they just needed the companionship of their friends to get better : )
I used the poly vi sol vitamins without iron that I had to go to 4 places to find and turmeric tea which is apparently great for people and chickens!  

I'm happy that the chicks are doing better! Those vitamins really work! My neighbor had a young duckling that was more then the runt of his litter, it's a dwarf duckling. So his litter mates outgrew him very quickly. He was put in a brooder with some quail to keep him company. And after a few months he started not being able to walk, at all!! So I told my neighbor to try the vitamins. After 2 days of putting a couple drops in his mouth a few times a day, he's up and walking around! I'm so amazed at how good they work! Anyway, I'm very happy they are doing better. Are you still incubating the one duck egg? Do you have call ducks? I can't wait to hatch these paint eggs. We should trade eggs in spring!!

I've had quite a busy week too! Back to school week and two nights of "parent night" at the school. Plus the kids got sick the first week back, of course!! So here's what's happening in my bators...
1 live egg due to hatch Wednesday
2 live eggs due to hatch Friday
10/12 new "paint" eggs are developing on day 6! So hopefully I will get at least 2 chicks next week
fl.gif
, who knows and then I'm hoping for at least 50% on October 3rd!!
fl.gif

Lea, sorry you were sick! And congrats on the great hatch!!! That's awesome! I hope you will stop in from time to time and check on us!! Good luck with all your chicks.
I'm happy that the chicks are doing better! Those vitamins really work! My neighbor had a young duckling that was more then the runt of his litter, it's a dwarf duckling. So his litter mates outgrew him very quickly. He was put in a brooder with some quail to keep him company. And after a few months he started not being able to walk, at all!! So I told my neighbor to try the vitamins. After 2 days of putting a couple drops in his mouth a few times a day, he's up and walking around! I'm so amazed at how good they work! Anyway, I'm very happy they are doing better. Are you still incubating the one duck egg? Do you have call ducks? I can't wait to hatch these paint eggs. We should trade eggs in spring!!

It sounds like those paint eggs are doing well... and it is about time you had some good eggs!

I put in more duck eggs... got to find out if they are fertile of course! I feel bad taking that one duck egg out so I haven't done it but I have barely turned it : (

I just have Ancona ducks. I can hardly wait till we can trade eggs : )

I had a question. Since there were so many Paint Silkies being hatched, I was wondering, do you think paint silkies have the same genetics as these birds?

I'm creating a new breed, I call them Dalmatian Bantams, and I'm using White Silkies in the mix. However, if Paint silkies have the same genes as these birds, I could just use paint silkies in the cross. These are Silver Sebright, White Silkie and Red Pyle OEGBs.

Dodie

Susie (Black-eyed Susan)

Goldie

I had a question. Since there were so many Paint Silkies being hatched, I was wondering, do you think paint silkies have the same genetics as these birds?

I'm creating a new breed, I call them Dalmatian Bantams, and I'm using White Silkies in the mix. However, if Paint silkies have the same genes as these birds, I could just use paint silkies in the cross. These are Silver Sebright, White Silkie and Red Pyle OEGBs.

Dodie

Susie (Black-eyed Susan)

Goldie

I was thinking they must have that same gene that paint silkies have that causes the spots. I just love spots : ) They are already a silkie mix right? So it wouldn't hurt them to be bred to a paint Silkie again.

I can only see one spot coming in on one Paint Silkie I hatched. It is a pretty light spot so I wonder how it/they will turn out and I wonder if lightly spotted paints can breed darker spotted paints.

I was thinking they must have that same gene that paint silkies have that causes the spots. I just love spots : ) They are already a silkie mix right? So it wouldn't hurt them to be bred to a paint Silkie again.

I can only see one spot coming in on one Paint Silkie I hatched. It is a pretty light spot so I wonder how it/they will turn out and I wonder if lightly spotted paints can breed darker spotted paints.

Yep, there is already some silkie in the mix. I was wondering the same thing about lighter spots. I have one Dalmatian mix that has a lavender spot on just one feather. She is very pretty, though. I really like her.

Her name is Dove

So it is officially day 21 for one of my eggs (the other 2 are due Friday) and this egg internally pipped this morning. Well actually, I checked the egg at 8 A.m. and he was chirping at me. I can see his beak right under the shell in the air cell. But no external pip. If I wake up and he still hasn't pipped I'm going to make a hole so he doesn't run out of oxygen. Any suggestions? It's a partridge silkie egg. :fl

Back
Top Bottom