Serama flock

I'll make a deal with you. I'll give in and get these lovely mini birds, and you house them inside your house all winter because their constitutions are too delicate for -40F. :p

Hence why they're in the house lol. They wouldnt last long in our frigid canadian winters lol. Easier to get that chicken fix when ita bloody freezing out.

I highly doubt you'll regret it lol. This breed is so interactive. I love big chickens, but these little ones are my favorite by far. Their personalities shine!
The little black and white one has to come out for a cuddle whenever the door is open. Literally snuggles into your shirt- adorable!
I can't wait I'm going to house them with a Bantam Wyandotte and an Appenzeller/Bantam Wyandotte mix. I know they will end up very spoiled

Hence why they're in the house lol. They wouldnt last long in our frigid canadian winters lol. Easier to get that chicken fix when ita bloody freezing out.
I like your thinking! My OEGB hen spends quite a bit of time in the house; spoiled thing can't take anything under about -17. One other OEGB is okay for some pretty cold stuff but gets worn down quick, so she comes in too.

Then I have the mutt bantam with an iron constitution. She came inside only once this whole winter and that was because I am a worrying pushover. She'd have been fine, I'm sure.

Nice! What are you planning on doing with them?

Planning to show a few this year. Have two nice looking roos, a few hens, and hopefully get a few that hatch out this spring that'll go as well. Only a few show quality in the bunch at the moment- still alot of tweeking in the line to do.
I do sell young hens, and very occasionally a rooster. I do not sell chicks or fertile eggs.

I like your thinking! My OEGB hen spends quite a bit of time in the house; spoiled thing can't take anything under about -17. One other OEGB is okay for some pretty cold stuff but gets worn down quick, so she comes in too.

Then I have the mutt bantam with an iron constitution. She came inside only once this whole winter and that was because I am a worrying pushover. She'd have been fine, I'm sure.
We keep ours in a 9 x 4 aviary downstairs during the winter and fall, and outside in an enclosed cage during the spring/ summer. Love having the aviary to rear up young birds in the house during the warm months.
The new aviary is almost done. A few finishing touches left.
Ill post a photo when its done.

Attachments

• 20180203_184705.jpg
    20180203_184705.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 8
Planning to show a few this year. Have two nice looking roos, a few hens, and hopefully get a few that hatch out this spring that'll go as well. Only a few show quality in the bunch at the moment- still alot of tweeking in the line to do.
I do sell young hens, and very occasionally a rooster. I do not sell chicks or fertile eggs.
Sees like you would have more roosters to sell than hens!

We keep ours in a 9 x 4 aviary downstairs during the winter and fall, and outside in an enclosed cage during the spring/ summer. Love having the aviary to rear up young birds in the house during the warm months.
The new aviary is almost done. A few finishing touches left.
Ill post a photo when its done.
I can't wait to see it!

The only time a rooster is for sale is if it's of great breeding quality, and I dont need any more in my flock- This doesnt happen too often.
I do sell pet quality only hens, but they still cannot have any major defects.
The genetics of seramas is extremely facinating.
What do you do with extras? Stew them? Seems like they'd make a bowlful at most. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom